Electronic Equipment Specialist
This Electronic Equipment Specialist will provide technical support to research groups, staff and students within the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering (CCE) in the areas of physical chemistry, chemical engineering, electronics, information technology hardware and experimentation.
• Provides electronics design, fabrication, and repair of research equipment, components and instruments.
• Assists researchers/students with equipment needs, experimental design, set-up, fabrication, execution, and resolution of technical problems and challenges.
• Coordinates with vendors as needed and oversees repairs of electrical, mechanical and electronic equipment in the mass spectrometer laboratory and the x-ray facility; analyzes, troubleshoots, and coordinates repair of equipment malfunctions and failures.
• Oversees and/or performs the installation, testing, calibration, operation and maintenance of complex research and ancillary equipment such as temperature control systems, shakers and environmental chambers.
• Assessment/repair of vacuum pumps, freezers, refrigerators, and other lab equipment.
• Works directly with graduate students to provide solutions for their research needs; provides training to students concerning electronics design as it applies to their research.
• Guides research staff/students on the proper use of equipment/instruments and compliance with lab safety procedures.
• Coordinates with faculty and Division administration on specifications for laboratory rehabilitations, logistical systems, and equipment configurations as related to areas of responsibility.
• Assists property services during CCE’s equipment asset inventory verification.
• Participates in strategic planning, funding, and acquisition of new equipment to support the anticipated needs of the Division; recommends purchases of equipment and supplies; maintains contact with vendors and conducts product searches to recommend cost/benefit options to the researcher or Division administration.
• Assist with Audio Visual in lecture halls and conference rooms.
• Maintains awareness of emerging scientific trends, new technologies and innovations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of five years of work experience with refrigeration, plus two to six years related experience within a laboratory, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Technical experience including engineering, electronics, and electro-mechanical repair and fabrication.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; highly organized and able to work with a diverse group of researchers, faculty, and staff.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply technical expertise and knowledge of policies and practices, and scientific protocols to complex and sensitive assignments.
• Ability to act independently on technical matters pertaining to scientific field.
• Ability to multitask and respond to multiple conflicting priorities and to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to provide leadership and/or guidance to junior colleagues.
• Must possess a CFC/EPA certificate.
• Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing 75 lbs.
• Demonstrates and applies advanced and thorough knowledge of Caltech research operations, strategies, and scientific concepts.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/14/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.