Range & Training Land Assessment Technician
Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of Natural Resources at CSU. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DOD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
A Range and Training Land Assessment (RTLA)/Sustainable Range Awareness (SRA) Technician (Research Associate I, Special) position is available with the Center for Environmental Management of Military Lands, to be assigned at Fort Stewart, Georgia, in support for the US Army Sustainable Range Program (SRP)/Integrated Training Area Management (ITAM) program. This position entails performing qualitative and quantitative land assessment surveys in support of identifying the need for Land Rehabilitation and Maintenance (LRAM) projects and identifying suitable land conditions for conducting specific Army training exercises. Survey findings will be reported to the on-site RTLA Coordinator and accompanied with digital photography and GPS points identifying LRAM project areas and/or specific landscape conditions required for training missions. Additionally, this position requires preparing SRA materials and integrating SRA tenants with Army units training at Fort Stewart. Materials consist of solider field cards. These cards provide text, maps, and photos informing soldiers how to avoid sensitive areas such as threatened and endangered species habitat and sites having cultural and historic importance.
Required Job Qualifications
- BS/BA in Natural Resources Management to include Fisheries and Wildlife, Ecology, Forestry, or closely related field.
- Experience in field sampling and data management.
- Experience with vegetation and soils in the southeastern US.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license, and be able to obtain US government driver’s license.
- The successful candidate must be able to walk over uneven terrain in inclement weather. The position may also require bending, climbing, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Must be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- U.S Citizenship is required for this position.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Two years’ experience in forest and vegetation inventory and/or natural resources assessments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Global Positioning System (GPS) and Geographic Information System (GIS) techniques and data development.
- Experience with vegetation and field data collection, analysis and report preparation.
- Experience operating personal computer workstations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong team and motivational skills.
- Comfortable working both outside and in an office setting.
•Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category ITAM Duty/Responsibility
Assist Fort Stewart’s ITAM RTLA component in assessing and monitoring range and training lands to maximize the capability and sustainability in order to meet the Army training and testing mission. Assessments include studies on vegetation, geomorphologic features, land condition, and land use and impact data of Fort Stewart and other variables.
Percentage Of Time 70 Job Duty Category Data Management/GIS Duty/Responsibility
Use of GPS equipment, field computers, office computers, Microsoft Office software as well as ESRI GIS software, Trimble TerraSync and Pathfinder Office software is required for data collection and management. Provide the ITAM program with GIS/GPS support as directed.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Equipment Maintenance Duty/Responsibility
Maintain field equipment to include researching equipment needs for purchase and soliciting quotes. Conduct basic preventative maintenance checks and services on ATVs and work trucks.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Supervisory Duty/Responsibility
Supervise seasonal/temporary RTLA employees
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category SRA Support Duty/Responsibility
Provide SRA Support. Develop and update products for ITAMs SRA component.
Percentage Of Time 2.5 Job Duty Category Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
Fulfill other duties and assignments as necessary to fulfill the mission of the ITAM components including RTLA, LRAM, GIS and Range Division, as approved and directed by the Contracting Officer Technical Representative (COTR).
Percentage Of Time 2.5 Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should apply online at http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/42733. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. Apply no later than April 3, 2017, for full consideration. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1) Statement of Qualifications (one-page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
3) Transcripts (for each degree earned that is listed under qualifications)
4) Degree Conferral (copy of diploma if transcripts do not include confirmation that degree was awarded)
5) References (contact information for professional references including at least one supervisor, references will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates)
Conditions of Employment Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Valid Driver’s License, Special Requirements/Other - Candidate must be able to comply with all applicable regulations to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC). Furthermore, candidates are required at a minimum to complete a NACI/SF85 and successfully pass a federal background check to remain eligible for employ Search Contact Jacie Ullrich, WCNR_HR@mail.colostate.edu EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested Maximum Requested Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position will be located at Fort Stewart, GA, please affirm your knowledge that work will be performed at that work location.
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV
- Official Transcripts
- List of Professional References