Head of School (Sport)
Head of School (Sport)
Salary Grade: Competitive
Other Benefits: Position is pensionable with employer contribution
Base Location: Europa Point Campus
Initial Contract Period: Three years
Probation Period: 12 months
Hours worked per week: 37
Leave: 25 Working Days
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible to: Deputy Director of Programmes (Taught and Research)
The Head of School (Sport) provides leadership and direction for the School of Sport and has responsibility for defining and managing the portfolio of offerings of the School which includes short, professional and academic courses as well as research, Knowledge Exchange Partnerships and consultancy work. The Head of Department is responsible for the development of workplace experience opportunities and the building of strong alliances with the local as well as international sport sector. This role also involves working closely with programme leaders, superviors, and tutors as well as visiting speakers and support staff associated with the offerings of the School. The appointee is responsible for seeking professional accreditations and assuring adherence to quality and professional requirements.
A positive, professional approach and good management skills are key requirements for this post, as well as having a strong academic and leadership background in higher education. S/he will have experience of forging strong local and international partnerships across the sport sector. S/he will be flexible with a solutions-orientated approach to work and the ability to prioritise tasks as well as meet deadlines. S/he will also possess good interpersonal skills and the ability to work using her/his own initiative and show a commitment to continuous improvement of services and programmes.
1. PRIMARY FUNCTIONS:
The post-holder will:
• Be responsible for the strategic planning, direction and performance of the School of Sport.
• Lead on the development and approval of short, professional and academic programmes offered by the School
• Be responsible for the recruitment, appointment and line-management of tutors, lectures and supervisors associated with programmes offered by the School
• Establish and effectively manage a placement programme for sports students. The programme must provide local, regional as well as international placement options.
• Actively canvass and formalise key stakeholder partnerships to strengthen the professional experience and employability skills of our graduates.
• Have a deep interest in ensuring the welfare, learning and progression of students.
• Be responsible for the quality of the student experience and establishing relevant mechanisms for student feedback.
• Develop the research and research supervision strands of the School of Sport
• Meet key performance indicators relating to attendance, retention and student satisfaction across all programmes
• Be responsible for the continuous improvement of the activities of the School including its programme offerings and benchmarking provision.
• Ensure that the activities of the Department are undertaken in accordance with the governance, policy and regulatory frameworks of the University. Develop online profile and webpage presence for the School of Sport
• Be responsible for developing and updating promotional materials, prospectuses, webpages to promote the activities of the School and profile the work of the Department at relevant local and international meetings.
• Ensure all programmes reflect the latest best practice and policy developments in the field as well as in HE.
• Actively seek new income streams and effectively manage the departmental budget.
• Undertake any other duties and responsibilities, commensurate with the grade of the post, as directed by a member of the Executive Team.
For more information, please visit www.unigib.edu.gi/vacancy