Prototype Precision Machinist
The Chemistry Instrument Shop at the California Institute of Technology seeks a prototype precision machinist. The position will perform high precision machining on 3-dimesional components and assemblies using both manual and CNC equipment. Candidates must have a background in precision mechanics and prototypes and be willing to learn about machining of new materials and vacuum systems.
• Fabricates complex devices used in research and modifies existing equipment.
• Consults with researchers on equipment design.
• Ensures the use of proper materials, appropriate tolerances and quality control.
• Makes sketches or CAD drawings.
• Assisting with soldering, brazing and welding tasks.
• Performs maintenance on shop equipment.
• Assists in the selection and installation of new shop equipment.
• Provides excellent customer service.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Requires 5-7 years of related machining experience.
• Knowledge of machine shop operations and safety, including lathes, manual and CNC mills, EDM and other equipment used in a prototype/production environment.
• Knowledge of cutting tool geometry and resulting cutting action based upon material being used.
• Familiarity with a wide variety of materials.
• Experience in design and drafting.
• Evidence of being ingenious and resourceful in previous roles.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
• Able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. Ability to climb a ladder and work standing for long periods.
• Must have excellent manual dexterity.
• Must have color vision correctable to 20/20.
• Must have or be able to obtain a California driver’s license.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/13/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.