IPAC is a research center currently supporting several active and recent missions including Spitzer, NEOWISE, & Herschel. It also supports the upcoming ESA/NASA Euclid mission with the Euclid NASA Science Center at IPAC (ENSCI), and is providing the Science User Tools to LSST.
IPAC operates several major archives, including the Infrared Science Archive (IRSA), the NASA Extragalactic Database (NED), and the NASA Exoplanet Archive. IPAC is also host to the NASA Exoplanet Science Institute.
IPAC is part of Caltech campus, but has many interactions with the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, NASA Headquarters and other NASA centers, the National Science Foundation and other Federal agencies, the European Space Agency, and a large cross-section of the US and worldwide astronomical community.
- Will support the Director & Deputy Director of the NASA Exoplanet Science Institute (NExScI), the Manager of the Infrared Processing and Analysis Center (IPAC), as well as 12-15 staff members.
- Will be responsible for making foreign and domestic travel arrangements for staff as well as visitors (very heavy travel workload).
- Arranges travel expense reimbursements post-travel.
- Maintain calendars, schedule meetings/conference rooms, assist with conference organization/event planning both on-site and off Campus.
- Acts as Payroll Administrator for a department of approximately 130 staff members.
- Organize logistics for conferences, workshops, committee meetings, including: air travel, lodging, catering, facility rentals.
- Responsible for ordering office supplies for IPAC, NExSci, and the Spitzer Science Center.
- Handles mailings for the department (i.e. FedEx). Distributes the incoming departmental mail.
- Handles logistics with regard to weekly lunchtime seminars (ordering food & purchasing drinks), including set-up and tear-down.
- Provides backup and overflow administrative support to other administrative assistants as needed, and performs errands as well as other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma and five years of administrative experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, calendars (Outlook and Google).
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to work both independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritize and organize work to accomplish assigned tasks.
- Flexibility to work on various tasks with many interruptions.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds of office supplies on a daily base.
- Experience using company P-Card, Concur, CardQuest.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please provide the names and contact information of three professional references.