Prototype Precision Apprentice
The Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering at the California Institute of Technology seeks a prototype machinist apprentice for the CCE Instrument Shop. The position will perform high precision machining on 3-dimensional components and assemblies using both manual and CNC equipment under the guidance of the senior instrument maker.
- Designs and fabricates devices used in research.
- Interacts with researchers on device/assembly design.
- Chooses proper materials for high temperature, high vacuum, cryogenic or biological applications.
- Works with a wide variety of materials including aluminum, stainless steels, plastics, machinable ceramics and exotic metals.
- Assigns appropriate tolerances and maintains quality control.
- Makes sketches or CAD drawings.
- Assists with soldering, brazing and welding tasks.
- Performs maintenance on shop equipment.
- Performs Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Requires an Associate of Science degree in Machining or a Certificate of Achievement in Machining or proof of a combination of both classroom instruction and practical machining experience.
- Ability to read blueprints and make part sketches.
- Must have excellent math skills.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Must have an interest in how mechanical devices work.
- Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing 50lbs. Able to climb a ladder and work standing for long periods.
- Must have excellent manual dexterity.
- Must have color vision correctable to 20/20.
- Must have or be able to obtain a California driver’s license.
- Must have an interest in mechanics and be willing to learn about new materials, new technologies and high vacuum systems.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants