Science Liaison Librarian
Working Title Science Liaison Librarian
Posting Number 201700058F Proposed Annual Salary Range 50,000 - 60,000 Position Type Faculty Work Hours/Week 40 Description of Work Unit
This position will be a part of the College Liaisons unit of the Libraries’ Scholarly Communications Division and will report to one of the Coordinators of the College Liaisons Unit.
The College Liaisons unit at CSU works to increase the visibility of library services across the University and cooperates with a variety of campus constituencies to promote research and instructional services, digital projects, institutional repositories, and grant activities. The College Liaisons unit is charged with providing information literacy/instructional support for library resources and services to the campus community, and all liaison librarians have teaching, research consultation, and collection development responsibilities.
CSU is making a strong and strategic investment to ensure that the Libraries meets the needs of the institution now and in the future, and the Dean of Libraries is also the campus Vice President for Information Technology, and Academic Computing and Networking Services.
Tenure/Tenure Track? Yes % Research 15 % Teaching 75 % Service 10 % Administration 0 Open Posting Date Open Until Filled Yes To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 04/03/2017 Number of Vacancies Desired Start Date Position End Date
This tenure-track faculty position will be responsible for outreach to and collaboration with academic departments in the sciences that will be determined based on organizational need and candidate interest. This librarian should have excellent oral, written and presentation skills. Duties will include providing and assessing effective subject-based instruction, research services and collection development to support students, faculty and researchers in the assigned academic departments. The successful candidate will utilize emerging technologies to expand access to library resources and services. This person will also be prepared to engage in scholarly publishing and professional service as required for tenure and promotion.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with faculty, staff, and students in liaison departments
• Providing in-person and virtual research assistance to faculty, students, and researchers on campus
• Teaching library instruction classes and workshops and creating instructional materials, in print and online, including tutorials that support information literacy
• Collaborating with other subject liaisons and the Coordinator of Collections in collection development activities
• Maintaining knowledge of trends in science librarianship, liaison activities, and scholarly communication
• Engaging in scholarly publishing and professional service as required for tenure and promotion
Required Job Qualifications
• Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent (degree granted by June 30, 2017).
• Experience working with scientific information resources.
• Demonstrated public service or customer service experience.
• Experience providing instruction or presenting to groups.
Preferred Job Qualifications
• A graduate degree, or an undergraduate major or minor in a scientific discipline.
• Experience providing research/reference services in a library environment.
• Experience providing instruction in an academic library, preferably in the sciences.
• Experience with collection development activities in an academic library.
• Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
• Experience or interest in exploring new library technologies and innovative options.
• Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and flexibility.
• Experience managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
• Experience working effectively both in a collaborative team environment and independently.
• Experience with data management trends and issues in a research environment.
• Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Libraries’ commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Finalists for this tenure-track position will be asked to provide dossiers not less than one week prior to on-campus interview.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Libraries will assist with moving expenses.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Libraries’ commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Search Contact Sande Innes, firstname.lastname@example.org Essential Duties
Job Duty Category Librarianship Duty/Responsibility
Engage in liaison core job areas of research/reference, instruction, and collection development.
Percentage Of Time 75 Job Duty Category Research Duty/Responsibility
Engage in research & creative activity as required for tenure and promotion.
Percentage Of Time 15 Job Duty Category Service Duty/Responsibility
Engage in service activities within the CSU Libraries, CSU campus, and regional or national professional organizations.
Percentage Of Time 10 References Requested
Minimum Requested 3 Maximum Requested 3 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently have, or will you have by June 30, 2017, a graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent?
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV