Land Rehabilitation and Maintenance - Heavy Equipment Operators - Open Pool
Land Rehabilitation and Maintenance - Heavy Equipment Operators
Open Pool Research Professional Position No Posting Number 201700159AP Position Type Admin Professional/Research Professional Number of Vacancies Work Hours/Week Proposed Annual Salary Range Starting at $42,000 Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Open Posting Date Open Until Filled No To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 09/30/2017 Description of Work Unit
CEMML is a research, education and service unit within the Warner College of
Natural Resources at CSU. CEMML applies the latest and most appropriate science to promote the sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense (DOD) and other public lands. We provide technical support, conduct applied research, and offer career development and learning opportunities to support resource stewardship. We collaborate with our sponsors and within CSU to resolve complex environmental issues, leaving a legacy of science-based decisions that sustain our resources for future generations.
To learn more about CEMML’s contributions to land management, our mission, vision, and values, visit http://www.cemml.colostate.edu/.
The successful candidate must reside in the Installation vicinity; telecommuting is not available for this position. Below is a list of locations where positions are available:
Fort Rucker, AL
Fort Huachuca, AZ
Fort Hunter Liggett, CA
Fort Benning, GA
Fort Gordon, GA
Big Island, HI
Fort Campbell, KY
Fort Devens, MA
Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Joint Base McGuire Dix Lakehurst, NJ
West Point Military Academy, NY
Fort Sill, OK
Fort Jackson, SC
Camp Bullis – Joint Base San Antonio, TX
Fort Hood, TX
Fort AP Hill, VA
Fort Eustis, VA
Fort Lee, VA
Fort McCoy, WI
Operate heavy equipment such as: 10 to 25 ton dump trucks (25 ton off road dumps at some locations) dozers, motor graders, front-in loaders, vibratory compactors, scrapers, forestry mowers (FECON), track hoes, agricultural tractors, and back hoes for the purpose of completing LRAM projects. Primary functions are soil stabilization and vegetation management on Army lands. This position will also require tracking and preparing monthly and quarterly reports.
Some HEO positions in the pool will be supervisory positions. Supervisor status will be determined based on work site requirements for a supervisory position, qualifications listed in the applicants’ resumes, and how well the applicants interview.
The successful candidate must be eligible to work in the United States by the start date. CEMML will not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
A valid driver’s license is required for these positions.
Required Job Qualifications
- 2 years professional experience.
- A High School Diploma, General Education Development (GED), or equivalent
- Experience with running and maintaining heavy equipment.
- Physically able to work outdoors and perform strenuous labor under all weather conditions (e.g., heat and humidity). Able to lift 40 pounds repeatedly
- Be able to follow directions, work collectively with others as a team, and maintain safe working standards
- Candidate must be able to comply with all applicable regulations to obtain a Common Access Card (CAC). Furthermore, candidates are required at a minimum to complete a NACI/SF85 and successfully pass a federal background check to remain eligible for employment by CSU. No Foreign nationals shall be employed without prior approval of the Government.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience necessary to facilitate:
o Soil Stabilization
o Land clearing
o Site Preparation
o Work Site Revegetation
- Experience with land rehabilitation, horizontal construction techniques, and erosion control practices specific to State and/or EPA approved Best Management Practices (BMPs) required to achieve compliance with the Clean Water Act (CWA)
- Experience running and maintaining heavy equipment such as:
o 10 to 25 ton dump trucks
o Motor graders
o Front-in loaders
o Forestry mowers (FECON)
o Agricultural tractors
o Back hoes
- A CDL is preferred for some positions but not all. Applicants without a CDL are very strongly encouraged to apply. For positions requiring a CDL, applicants must have a CDL or have the ability to obtain a CDL by the employment start date. Please note in your resume if you have a CDL.
- Supervisory experience is preferred for some positions but not all. Applicants without supervisory experience are very strongly encouraged to apply. For applicants interested in a supervisor level position, please demonstrate supervisory experience in your resumes.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Heavy equipment operation for the purpose of completing assigned LRAM project execution tasks. Duty/Responsibility
Execute Day to Day Heavy Equipment Operation Tasks to complete LRAM projects.
Equipment operated includes, but is not limited to: 10 to 25 ton dump trucks (25 ton off road dumps at some locations) dozers, motor graders, front-in loaders, agricultural tractors, vibratory compactors, scrapers, forestry mowers (FECON), track hoes, and back hoes. Equipment operation is done in support of providing safe and sustainable training lands. Conclusions will need to be reached on what type of equipment is most appropriate for the job and how best to locate the equipment at the job sight.
LRAM tasks will entail conducting activities to execute repair, maintenance, and reconfiguration projects in support of Army training missions. The two primary functions LRAM uses to repair, maintain and reconfigure training lands is vegetation management and soil stabilization treatments. LRAM treatment applications primarily assigned to Heavy Equipment Operators include, but are not limited to:
• Mechanized Brush and Small Tree Removal, Thinning, Clearing (Rotary Cutter, FECON, Hydro-ax)
• Gravel and Aggregate Application
• Rip Rap Application
• Articulated/Cable Concrete Application
• Creating and/or Maintaining Turnouts and Diversion Ditches along tactical use maneuver and movement trails
• Developing Grass Lined Channels
• Creating Water Bars
• Applying Rock Check Dams/Filter Dams
• Hard-Lined Channel Development
• Installing Low Water Crossings
• Archaeological Site Capping
• Culvert Placement (Repair, Maintenance)
• Forming Sediment Basins
• Installing Sediment Traps
• Drum Chopping
• Installing Gabions
• Ditch Line Establishment/Maintenance (Tactical use trails)
• Cut and Fill
• Soil Compaction
• Crowning Trails
• Outsloping/Insloping Trails
• Developing Broad-Based Diversion Dip
• Creating Turn Pads
• Stump Grinding
• Applying Fill Dirt
Percentage Of Time 80% (without supervision duties) or 70% (with supervision duties) Job Duty Category Equipment maintenance and upkeep and as directed, conduct research on parts and costs and submit purchase requests. Duty/Responsibility
1. Perform operational maintenance and inspections on equipment for operational readiness and safety and make minor adjustment and perform operator maintenance on equipment operated.
2. Perform routine maintenance tasks necessary to keep machinery, equipment and tools in good working condition such as changing tires, inspecting, greasing, and cleaning equipment, maintaining fluid levels, changing blades, calibrating equipment and performing related tasks.
3. Responsible for operator maintenance on equipment such as checking and replenishing fluids to proper levels, examining and changing filters, changing and sharpening blades, changing/replacing batteries, lubricating equipment, and making necessary adjustments.
Percentage Of Time 15% (all positions) Job Duty Category Supervision (a few positions may have supervisory responsibilities) Duty/Responsibility
Supervise full-time and seasonal employees. Manages, plans, and coordinates the daily activities of subordinate personnel. Provide crew training to assure accuracy of task performance and safely work in a dangerous/difficult environment.
Percentage Of Time 0% (without supervision duties) or 10% (with supervision duties) Job Duty Category Reporting Duty/Responsibility
Tracks project for monthly/quarterly reports.
Percentage Of Time 2.5% Job Duty Category Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
The position defined will fulfill other duties and assignments as necessary to fulfill the mission and sub-missions of the ITAM program and DPTMS as approved by the Installation Point of Contact.
Percentage Of Time 2.5% Application Details
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prospective candidates should apply online at http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/42374. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications in the announcement to be considered for hire. This pool is valid through September 30, 2017. Individuals wishing to be considered beyond this date must reapply. Upload each of the items below individually as a Word Document (.doc), PDF (.pdf), or Rich Text Format (.rtf). Please note that incomplete applications cannot be considered. Please remove social security numbers and birthdates from application materials. A complete application consists of:
1) Statement of Qualifications (one page letter addressing each qualification described in announcement)
3) Three references (contact information for professional references including at least one supervisor, references will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates)
1) If you have a Commercial Driver’s License, please provide documentation of this uploaded under “License/Certification.” A Commercial Driver’s license is NOT required for all positions.
Conditions of Employment Search Contact Jacie Ullrich - firstname.lastname@example.org EEO Statement
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Minimum Requested Maximum Requested Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a High School Diploma, General Education Development (GED), or equivalent?
- * Do you have a valid driver’s license?
- * This is an open pool posting for positions that are available at 18 Installation Management Command (IMCOM) sites throughout the United States. Please rank your preference of three locations from the following: Fort Rucker, AL. Fort Huachuca, AZ. Fort Hunter Liggett, CA. Fort Benning, GA. Fort Gordon, GA. Fort Campbell, KY. Fort Devens, MA. Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, NJ. West Point Military Academy, NY. Fort Sill, OK. Fort Jackson, SC. Camp Bullis- Joint Base San Antonio, TX. Fort Hood, TX. Fort AP Hill, VA. Fort Eustis, VA. Fort Lee, VA. Fort McCoy, WI. Installations on Oahu and Big Island, HI.
(Open Ended Question)
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References
- Resume or CV