Engineer (Computing) in the Information Technology department (IT), Computing and Monitoring Group (CM), Resource Provisioning (RPS).
You will join:
- The Compute and Monitoring (CM) group which provides compute resources, schedulers and tools to support efficient usage of over 200,000 computing cores at the CERN data centers. More information on the group is at: http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/about/organisation/compute-monitoring
- Either the Resource Provisioning Section (RPS), responsible for providing compute and service infrastructure for CERN or the Infrastructure Services Section (IS), responsible for delivering the compute intensive services for CERN and the Worldwide Computing Grid.
More information on IT the Department is at: http://information-technology.web.cern.ch/.
As a Computing Engineer in the IT-CM group, you will maintain and evolve the CERN compute services across a wide range of technologies including large private and public cloud facilities, compute intensive batch systems and high performance clusters.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Daily management of the services which includes third level service support, deployment of software packages, performance and availability monitoring and computing security.
- Advice and solution design for our users and LHC experiments staff in the use of the CERN compute services.
- Automation using Agile/DevOps tools such as Puppet to support running compute resources at scale.
- Contributing developments to Open Source communities such as OpenStack, HTCondor and Puppet.
- Coordination of major deployments such as new releases of software and operating systems.
- Definition, documentation and implementation of procedures following the ITIL recommendations.
- Close collaboration with other IT groups, departments and physics experiments at CERN.
Master's degree in the field of Computer Science or related field, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
Please note we are looking for 3 profiles in this Vacancy, therefore not meeting all requested experience will not be a reason for disqualification.
The experience required for this post is:
- Managing large scale Linux server deployments in a complex environment such as OpenStack cloud services or virtualisation systems such as KVM.
- Performing automation tasks using scripting languages such as Python and deploying services using configuration system solutions such as Puppet.
- Analysis of performance of distributed applications, high performance application tuning and optimisation, such as MPI and Infiniband.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- IT Operations: deliver and support properly-engineered it services and products to meet the needs of CERN.
- Design and selection of methods & tools: analyse sub-optimum procedures, streamline and document new ones; optimisation of existing tools and selection of the most appropriates.
- Technical advice and guidance: handling of special user requests; development of technical expertise within the team.
- Change management: coordination of changes within and outside the group.
- Release management: organisation of large scale deployments in a complex environment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; providing others with timely information.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements; being open to original ideas and creative options by which to address issues; continually driving change by seeking new ways to improve outcomes.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: Ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.