Computer Science Special Instructor
Posting Detail Information
Working Title Computer Science Special Instructor Posting Number 201700064F Proposed Annual Salary Range $70,000.00 to $74,000.00 estimated salary range. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Position Type Faculty Work Hours/Week 40 Description of Work Unit
The Department of Computer Science at Colorado State University (CSU) is one of eight departments in the College of Natural Sciences. The department has a strong commitment to undergraduate and graduate teaching, as well as excellence in research. The campus is located in Fort Collins, Colorado, a city of 140,000 residents 60 miles north of Denver.
Tenure/Tenure Track? No % Research 0 % Teaching 80 % Service 20 % Administration 0 Open Posting Date Open Until Filled Yes To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 03/27/2017 Number of Vacancies Desired Start Date Position End Date Position Summary
The Department of Computer Science at Colorado State University invites applications for the position of Special Instructor. The position is full-time at the academic rank of Instructor (non-tenure track). The start date is August 16, 2017.
The department is seeking a dynamic and committed instructor to deliver superior undergraduate education to our rapidly growing enrollment of undergraduate students. The special instructor will teach five or six courses per academic year. Initially the courses will primarily consist of freshman (100-level) and sophomore (200-level) courses.
Initially the division of responsibilities for this position are 80% teaching and 20% service. This distribution may be altered to accommodate changes in the department, college, and university policies and goals. However, any changes must be approved by the department chair and the dean of the college, following discussion with the special instructor. This is a non-tenure track appointment with potential for advancement to a multi-year appointment and rank of Special Assistant Professor.
Required Job Qualifications
- Master of Science or Ph.D. in Computer Science from an accredited institution.
- Three years of experience as a practicing computer scientist in industry or one year experience teaching at college or university level.
- Knowledge of Java and Python languages, development environments, basic web technologies, and Linux operating system.
- Familiarity with standard CS1 and CS2 curricula, including programming fundamentals, data structures, and basic algorithms.
Preferred Job Qualifications
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Dedication to undergraduate computer science education.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Experience in increasing participation of under-represented groups in computer science field.
- Management experience.
- Participation in educational research or membership in organizations such as ACM SIGCSE.
Special Instructions to Applicants
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
•Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Search Contact Dr. Wim Bohm, email@example.com Essential Duties
Job Duty Category Teaching Duty/Responsibility
- Help develop new undergraduate courses.
- Prepare and deliver lectures, labs, assignments, and other course materials that meet department curriculum expectations. Continuously improve materials that are associated with the courses to which the instructor is assigned.
- Evaluate student’s understanding of the curriculum with exams, quizzes, and other assessments. Maintain up to date feedback on student performance and progress throughout the semester, and assign student grades at the end of the semester.
- Supervise graduate and undergraduate teaching assistants that teach labs and provide help to students. Train and mentor teaching assistants and helpers, assign teaching schedules, and lead weekly group meetings.
- Publish and maintain office hours and respond to student inquiries in a timely manner.
- Coordinate with department mentor/ academic advisors for students that are struggling with courses and connect the students to available resources and services.
- Learn university-licensed and third-party software used within the department, including Canvas learning management system, Piazza bulletin board, and online tutorials such as Revel that are associated with courses.
- Develop expertise and contribute to the software tools and process maintained by the department, including course websites, submission tools, automated grading framework, and associated scripts.
Percentage Of Time 80 Job Duty Category Service Duty/Responsibility
- Review department curriculum and provide feedback to the undergraduate curriculum committee on options for textbooks and other materials to keep materials currents and fulfill the curriculum objectives.
- Support the diversity efforts in the department by respecting and encouraging all students and providing fair and equal access to all students.
- In partnership with the College of Natural Sciences Dean’s Office help seek external donor/corporate funding to support diversity initiatives and apply for grant funding to support innovative curriculum development.
Percentage Of Time 20 References Requested
Minimum Requested Maximum Requested Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Do you have a Master of Science or Ph.D. in Computer Science from an accredited institution?
- Do you three years of experience as a practicing computer scientist in industry or one year experience teaching at college or university level?
Applicant Documents Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV
- List of Professional References
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy