Technician - Outdoor Education
USC will be a university of international standing, a driver of capacity building in the Sunshine Coast and broader region, and an unsurpassed community asset.
University Strategic Goals
The University will be:
- A comprehensive university of 20,000 students by 2020;
- Positioned in the global tertiary education community as a top-100 university under 50 years of age; and
- A primary engine of capacity building in the broader Sunshine Coast region, from Brisbane to the Fraser Coast.
Overview of Technical Services
The Technical Services team supports the delivery of the Faculty academic programs through the provision of technical services in both teaching and research facilities.
Overview of the Role
Under the general direction of the Fieldwork Coordinator, the Technician contributes to the ongoing functionality, cleaning, inspection, maintenance and repair of equipment used for Outdoor Education field activities. The equipment includes hiking packs, tents and camping gear, kayaks, canoes, beach bicycles and climbing gear.
Other functions of this position include oversight of equipment bookings, dispensing and receiving equipment either side of field trip for staff and students and, equipment inventory using a laptop. The incumbent will have great organisational and time management skills. Comprehensive training will be provided when required.
The willingness and ability to learn specific repairs and maintenance requirements for equipment and ensure high standards of housekeeping as well as safety standards for equipment, is essential. The incumbent must have the ability to work collaboratively in a team, deliver effective and timely client service and may be expected to perform other duties as required of a position of this classification in a fast changing academic environment.
The position is a 50% fractional ongoing appointment with flexibility required in the hours worked each day during the week.
The successful candidate will hold an associate diploma level qualification with relevant work related experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education/training. Experience in bicycle-shop mechanical repairs and service as well as preventative maintenance skills are highly desirable.
In particular, the Technical Assistant must be able to demonstrate:
- Good observational skills
- DIY repairs and maintenance skills
- Sound computer literacy
- Ability to work independently and to meet the physical requirements of the position.
- A current manual driver's licence and first aid certificate.
In addition, all USC staff are expected to:
- Collaborate and contribute to the efficient and effective functioning of their team or work unit
- Communicate in an inclusive and effective manner with and respectfully engage with others
- Perform their responsibilities in a manner which reflects and responds to an evolving and innovative environment
- Manage competing demands and meet deadlines
- Use initiative and exercise sound judgement to ensure high quality service results.
Given the dynamic environment in which the University operates, the supervisor may alter the role and responsibilities at their discretion in order to most effectively serve the needs of the University.
Applicants are not required to address each element of the capabilities, but should provide sufficient information in their application to enable the selection panel to make an informed assessment of their suitability for the role and for interview.