Security Systems Support Engineer
Security Systems Support Engineer in the Beams department (BE), Industrial Controls and Safety systems (ICS) Group, Access Control Section (AC).
The main functions of SUSI (Site Surveillance) system at CERN is to:
- Control physical access to the CERN sites and buildings.
- Assist the security guards in their control mission, allowing them to concentrate on non-regular cases.
- Provide video and perimeter surveillance tools to allow for swift and relevant action on site.
You will join:
The Beams (BE) Department, responsible for beam performance over the complete CERN accelerator chain, from the source to the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), and which carries out Research and Development (R&D) activities on the upgrade of the LHC, its injectors and on future accelerators.
The Industrial Controls and Safety systems (ICS) Group which provides solutions and support for industrial control systems and which develops, installs and maintains CERN's safety systems including fire and gas detection, evacuation and access control.
The Access Control (AC) Section is responsible for the supply, installation, maintenance, operation, renovation and support of all access & video systems. For SUSI in particular it is responsible for the support of the systems for the security control centre (CSA).
As Security Systems Support Engineer you will be part of a team that is responsible for the physical access control systems, video surveillance and technical support of the security control centre. You will be working on the detailed design of video security systems, physical access control and perimeter security.
You will specifically:
- Design layouts for video surveillance, access control and/or perimeter protection systems.
- Analyse technical options and make informed recommendations for the choice of security equipment, based on desired technical performance and available market products.
- Collaborate with internal CERN services to design and deploy security systems on site and coordinate with security control room operators to ensure maximum usability.
- Conduct on-site visits, design proposals, follow installation and commissioning of the above systems.
- Configure Video Management Systems for optimum performance in the CERN environment and integrate them in the CERN Control room supervision.
- Study and optimise video analytics solutions for improved control room reaction times management.
- Participate in the design and deployment of physical security systems in general.
Bachelor's degree in the field of Electrical, Electromechanical and or Industrial Automation or equivalent.
*Please note that preference will be given to candidates with the above-mentioned qualifications:In principle consideration will not be given to applications from people with higher qualifications.
Experience and competencies
The experiences required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with electrical or industrial automation installations
- Experience in the video surveillance domain and in physical security systems in general
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation & dismantling of electro-mechanical equipment.
- Commissioning,operation & maintenance of electronic systems.
- Installation, maintenance & operation in process control.
- Use of Scientific and Engineering software packages.
- Knowledge of CAD design software would be an advantage
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships;working well in groups and readily fitting into a team;participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Solving problems: testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation; addressing complex problems by breaking them down into manageable components.
- Achieving results:having a structured and organised approach towards work;being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Learning and sharing knowledge:sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French:ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 30.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile.
Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.