BRE Professor of Civil Engineering
BRE Professor of Civil Engineering
(The awarded title would be subject to the specific interests of the successful candidate)
School of Engineering and Technology
£57,319 - £66,308 pa dependent on designated skills and experience
Full time - 37 hours per week (1.0 FTE)
The School of Engineering and Technology is seeking to appoint an outstanding Professor with a track record of teaching and research in one of the following broad areas of interest:
- Structural Analysis and Civil Engineering Structural Design.
- Smart Infrastructure, Embedded Systems, Sensors and Monitoring.
- BIM and Asset Management
The right candidate will be joining a successful and ambitious School, which enjoys numerous external accreditations. The School is now looking to appoint a Professor of Civil Engineering to lead the rollout and operation of our new Civil Engineering Degree, developed and delivered in partnership with BRE. The successful candidate will contribute to teaching and leadership of the new degree, and carry out research to support the University’s ambition to be internationally renowned as the UK’s leading business-facing University. Working directly with the Dean, Associate Dean Research, and with our partners, BRE, this will be an exciting opportunity to shape and lead a new Civil Engineering degree and contribute to the School’s research. The School offers a friendly and collegiate working environment, where someone with proven teaching, research and leadership skills can excel.
The dual focus of the job is to both lead the launch of a new Civil Engineering degree and to make a significant contribution to internationally excellent research in the School and University.
The skills, qualifications and experience needed:
- A degree level qualification or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering, or relevant subject area, is an essential requirement of the role. A doctorate level qualification is a highly desirable requirement.
- A track record of undertaking novel enquiry and dissemination of new knowledge and / or advances in practice with an established international profile. A track record of having achieved distinction through a substantial record of peer-esteemed outputs in the subject.
- Experience of having led teaching and research teams, which has included securing research funding; seeking out and responding to funding and collaborative opportunities; leading and managing research; mentoring and coaching colleagues; and experience of doctoral supervision.
- A track record of subject teaching in at least one of the above areas of interest. This might include prior engagement with academic programme development, leadership and advocacy of the subject; industrial experience, work with external organisations; contributions to national or international forums, conferences and / or policies.
We particularly welcome female applicants as they are under-represented within the School at these levels.
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail please contact Dr Rodney Day, Dean of School of Engineering and Technology (email: email@example.com), copying in Ila Nash, Executive Assistant (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
As this is a professional appointment, three professorial references will be required prior to interview.
Apply online at http://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/jobs-and-vacancies
Reference Number: 014421
Closing date: 2nd April 2017.
Interview date: 27th April 2017.