Academic Role in Psychiatry
Discipline of Psychiatry
Sydney Medical School - Northern
Reference no. 432/0317
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience psychiatry
- Contribute to research related to health services in mental health
About the opportunity
The Northern Clinical School is a teaching facility of the Sydney Medical School (SMS) located at Royal North Shore Hospital. The school coordinates the clinical education of medical students and ensures this is done in accordance with the requirements of the Sydney Medical School.
We are looking to appoint a Senior Lecturer (Level C) or Associate Professor (Level D) in Psychiatry to take on responsibility for ensuring that SMS medical students undertaking psychiatry clerkships receive the best possible experience and training. The development of a strong bilateral model of care between the Northern Clinical School and Northern Sydney Local Health District services for those with mood disorders will be a prime component of the role.
You will take responsibility for overseeing the delivery of all medical student teaching and assessment and related student support within the Discipline of Psychiatry; assisting the Professor of Psychiatry in the delivery of, and research into providing optimal health services for patients with mental illness, focusing on mood disorders.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. We see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research and teaching excellence. We are looking for an academic who has:
- a medical degree (MBBS or equivalent) and Fellowship of RANZCP (or accredited equivalent)
- demonstrated teaching experience
- demonstrated research experience including track record of publications and grants
- exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- ability to manage multiple stakeholder relationships
- proven ability to be innovative
- ability to provide mentoring to students and staff
- demonstrated high level of clinical skills.
For appointment at the Level D you will also have a higher academic qualification such as PhD or equivalent and demonstrated experience in services research and/or services development. You will also have demonstrated leadership experience in an academic and/or clinical environment.
For less experienced but suitably qualified candidates who have demonstrated a solid potential to develop their profiles in academic research and teaching, we may also consider appointing at Lecturer level (Level B).
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11pm 6 April 2017
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Permanent Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Sydney
- Permanent Medicine & Dentistry Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Sydney
- Permanent Other Health & Social Care Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Sydney