Director, Proteome Exploration Lab
We are encouraging qualified applicants to apply for the position of Director of the Proteome Exploration Lab at the California Institute of Technology. The successful applicant is expected to manage the PEL, a cutting edge mass spec-based proteomics research facility whose research techniques are available to the Caltech community and whose mandate includes developing an innovative research program.
This position has an Emergency Reporting Designation of Organizational Critical. An employee designated as organizational critical is expected to report to campus as soon as possible to assist in division/department response and recovery efforts.
• Direct and oversee the operations and administration of the Proteome Exploration Lab and manage all laboratory resources including equipment and supervision of personnel.
• Oversee and coordinate the installation, testing, calibration, operation and maintenance of highly complex and sophisticated equipment and instruments.
• Plan and manage all human resource activities including hiring, training, promotion and termination. Determine work schedules and recommend staffing levels.
• Partner with Principal Investigator and grant manager for the management of laboratory budgets; prepare and submit grant proposals and monitor spending.
• Advise and consult with researchers and/or students regarding complex experimental designs, re-designs, techniques and approaches.
• Collaborate with Principal Investigator on strategic planning, funding and acquisition of new equipment to support future direction of the laboratory.
• Lead and direct activities related to research or teaching programs, including: strategic oversight of project directions in collaboration with principal investigators, provide leadership and expertise in the execution and interpretation of research results and formulate and initiate research inquiries in cutting edge proteomics.
• Author and/or co-author results and present finding in journals and at scientific organizations or conferences with the principal investigator(s).
• Applicants should have a PhD. with a background in mass spec-based proteomics.
• Individuals with an expertise in developing and applying mass spec-based proteomics to important problems in biology and chemistry and have a demonstrated record of achievement in academia or industry.
• Applicants should have a track record in managing a lab and securing grant support in either academia or industry.
Supervisory position? Yes
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/17/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.