Bakeshop Assistant Manager - Dining Services V
Description of Work Unit
Serve Colorado State University Dining Services with loyalty, competence and professionalism and to expect the same from others; to maintain within our institution the highest standards of service, quality products and food safety and to promote the same standards within the community by personal practice and example. Residential Dining Services sole purpose is to provide Colorado State University students, faculty/staff and the community with a quality food service program.
Supervise a staff of professional Classified employees, Student Manager and student/nonstudent hourly employees in accomplishing the unit mission by hiring, scheduling, training, coaching and evaluating employees. Responsible for the procurement of all food and supplies for the unit. Monitor quality and quantity of meals produced and control food cost by forecasting accurate orders and receiving of goods. Maintain daily cost accounting records. Promote safety, sanitation and accident prevention by managing daily operations.
To be considered for this position, an applicant must:
- Have four years of experience food production in a bakery kitchen environment, this MUST have included at least one year as a supervisor in a bake shop environment.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies (e.g. knowledge, skills, abilities, and other personal characteristics) which have been outlined as essential to performing successfully in this position:
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office 2007.
- Ability to supervise others by providing accountability, delegation of tasks, oversight of employee work product, and regular/ongoing training.
- Ability to create a positive working environment which required leading others by example, approaching daily tasks with optimism, and motivating employees.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills in order to establish an approachable and collaborative relationship with HDS staff, students, and internal/external customers.
- Demonstrated multi-tasking skills and attention to detail in an environment with frequently changing priorities and opportunities to exercise flexibility and composure.
- Experience delivering exceptional customer service to internal and external customers while adhering to employer/department policies.
- Work experience in a high-volume (500+ meals) food production operation
- Food safety certification such as ServSafe or HACCP is preferred.
Essential Job Duties
Job Duty Category Supervision Duty/Responsibility
- Supervise, monitor, teach and train all full time, student manager, student hourly, practicum students, and drivers on quality and quantity issues of the operation
- Supervise, develop and direct an efficient and dependable staff of full time, student manager, student hourly, practicum students, and drivers personnel by hiring, delegating assignments, scheduling, training, evaluating, disciplining and mediating difference
- Enforce safety, sanitation and operational guidelines
- Ensure and verify temperature control checks are being recorded (HACCP)
- Provide continuous surveillance of entire operation
- Instruct, enforce and comply with safety, sanitation, and all applicable policies and regulations
Percentage Of Time 40 Job Duty Category Food Production / Preparation Duty/Responsibility
- Inventory food and supplies
- Forecast future needs for food and supplies
- Adjust Production Requirements reports as needed
- Maintain production logs, meal counts and financial records
- Use a computer to maintain and generate internal documents and to communicate.
- Make menu changes when menu items are not available
- Ensure foods are prepared in an attractive manner noting proper garnish, quality and overall appearance
- Ensure foods, supplies and wares are stored following department operations manual and written and verbal instructions
- Ensure quality of food production by requiring use of standardized recipes following pre-established menus
- Ensure safety and sanitation guidelines in production and service areas are being followed using departmental operations manual, food sanitation manual, performance plan, and written and verbal communication from the university appointed sanitarian and safety official
Percentage Of Time 40 Job Duty Category Employee Performance Management Duty/Responsibility
- Discuss with employees their performance plan, mid-year review and final evaluation
- Advise, council, and guide employees
- Mentor and coach throughout the year to assist staff in obtaining performance goals
- Evaluate employee performance semi-annually by observing daily performance, reviewing pertinent documentation and grading according to skill level
- Observe daily performance and rate according to standard levels of performance. Utilize documentation and other pertinent records
- Train employees using departmental and operations manuals, classified and hourly employee manuals and performance plans
Percentage Of Time 10 Job Duty Category Employee Relations Duty/Responsibility
Assist the Executive Pastry Chef with the following:
- Coordination of special events by reviewing data from previous events and making suggestions on menu items
- Complete accident reports as necessary
- Conduct interviews for classified and/or hourly applicants
- Hire all employees as authorized
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Operations and Other Duties Duty/Responsibility
- Serve as backup delivery driver as needed
- Ensure proper opening and closing procedures are followed
- Participate in the decision-making process to discuss areas of concern or changes needed in the operation
- Attend assigned meetings and training sessions passing appropriate assessments as applicable (i.e. Dining, Departmental Unit, ServSafe Manager Certification, Allergy Training, New Employee Training,etc.).
- Operate a windows based computer system; utilizing computer software manuals, oral and written instructions
- Other duties as assigned
Percentage Of Time 5
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND INFORMATION
- Clearly document job duties you have performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the Work Experience section on the application. Human Resources must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
- Clearly outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that Human Resources can calculate full-time work experience.
- The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
- If an Application is considered “Incomplete”, the Application will be removed from consideration for the position.
- An Application is incomplete if no current/ previous employment is included in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- An Application is incomplete if “see resume” (or something similar) is noted, or previous employment does not contain job duties for every position in the Work Experience section of the Application.
- Positions requiring a degree or if using education as a substitution for work experience (eg: Associate or Bachelor’s) transcripts are required in order to verify receipt of the required degree or coursework. If official or unofficial transcripts are not supplied at the time of application, the Application is incomplete.
- When a resume is listed as a required document, it may be used in the comparative analysis/ evaluation process to determine the candidates that most closely meet the qualifications of the position. This process occurs after an application has passed the minimum qualifications screening.
- Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed application; however, some positions may still require a resume as a component for complete application materials.
**Please see the Required Documents section of the posting.
- The selection process for State Classified positions may include an exam(s), which requires candidates to physically appear (at the CSU campus in Fort Collins, CO) at the candidates’ own expense.
- All status updates for this position will be sent via email from firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to your Inbox, remember to check the Deleted and Junk folders for these important communications.
- Pertinent updates to your Application status can be obtained by logging into your application account at https://jobs.colostate.edu
DEPARTMENT CONTACT INFORMATION
- Please check the Help link online at https://jobs.colostate.edu/help/ for assistance on your application or for answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
- All other inquiries should be directed to the Colorado State University Human Resources Office HR_Employment@mail.colostate.edu.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), Pre-employment Physical - Successfully complete the WorkSteps evaluation., Valid Driver’s License - Must possess a valid State of Colorado driver’s license. , Essential Services Designation - Required to report without delay or interruption to provide essential or emergency services to ensure health, safety, and welfare., On-call Status - Full availability on operational needs., Special Requirements/Other - Per CSU HOS food safety training policy, the incumbent must successfully pass the ServSafe certification exam and C.D.O.T. driving and written exam within 6 months of hire date.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Employment and Appeal Rights
If you receive notice that you have been eliminated from consideration for the position, you may protest the action by filing an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the date you receive notice of the elimination. Also, if you wish to challenge the selection and comparative analysis process, you may file an appeal with the State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director within 10 days from the receipt of notice or knowledge of the action you are challenging.
Refer to Chapters 4 and 8 of the State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures, 4 CCR 801, for more information about the appeals process. The State Personnel Board Rules and Personnel Director’s Administrative Procedures are available at www.colorado.gov/spb.
A standard appeal form is available at: www.colorado.gov/spb. If you appeal, your appeal must be submitted in writing on the official appeal form, signed by you or your representative, and received at the following address within 10 days of your receipt of notice or knowledge of the action: Colorado State Personnel Board/State Personnel Director, Attn: Appeals Processing, 1525 Sherman Street, 4th Floor, Denver, CO 80203. Fax: 303-866-5038. Phone: 303-866-3300. The ten-day deadline and these appeal procedures also apply to all charges of discrimination.