Director of Library
Director of Library
Location - Doha,QA
Department Name Library
Qatar University profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Qatar University's library has undergone several important developmental changes since its establishment in 1973. However, the most notable change took place in 1985, when the university made the move to its permanent campus. In 1992, a new library building was constructed on the men's campus. The library serves QU students, faculty, staff, and researchers, as well as patrons from the general public. Our goal is to support your curriculum needs, and to contribute to the quality of your overall learning experience here at QU .
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide quality collection that meets the needs of the public;
- Ensure that the staff is responsive to the patrons and deals with them in a pleasant and professional manner;
- Resolve complaints from the public and staff;
- Ensure that the Library environment is pleasant and that the facilities and services are easy to use and meet patron needs;
- Team up with the Finance Director to develop and recommend an annual budget and administer expenditures of funds within the budget constraints;
- Perform budgeting, financial and purchasing functions of the Library;
- Ensure that the materials selected and the services provided meet the needs of the patrons and represent a judicious expenditure of funds;
- Supervise and approve the purchase of all Library materials, equipment and services;
- Supervise the development, implementation and evaluation of Library programs and services;
- Supervise the efficient circulation of materials to keep them readily available;
- Supervise an effective weeding program which assures that the collection is current with the needs of the patrons;
- Determine staffing requirements and hire the personnel necessary to meet those needs;
- Supervise the selection, training and evaluation of Library staff;
- Assign duties, define staff responsibilities, establish lines of authority and delegate work to Library staff;
- Work closely with supervisors and department managers in interpreting Library policies;
- Ensure that the physical facilities, grounds and equipment are properly maintained, updated and safe for use;
- Oversee the Library's material, equipment and facilities resources;
- Evaluate and develop plans for effective allocation and utilization of building space to meet the changing needs of the Library;
- Communicate the Library's services, resources and programs to the community;
- Represent the Library through participation in professional library organizations.
- ALA-accredited MLS or international equivalent (online degrees are not accepted)
- Must have a minimum of 10 years of recent experience working in an institution of higher learning, with at least 5 years as a Library Director;
- Previous college/university experience within an academic setting is a plus;
- Detailed level of knowledge regarding the Library’s Integrated Library Management System (ILMS)—Innovative;
- Direct and participate in the planning, data loading, testing and using of the ILMS;
- Maintain a high level of knowledge in the area of library automation and technology specific to the acquisition, cataloging, circulation, reference and public service;
- Functionally familiar with the software and data formats commonly in use in Technical Services, including knowledge of MARC and OCLC;
- Reading knowledge of Arabic and English Languages.
- University online application;
- Curriculum Vitae with a cover letter;
- Any additional documentation that you think is relevant to your application.
1. Competitive tax-free salary.
2. Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
3. Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
4. Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
5. Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
6. End-of-contract indemnity.