Chair Position in Civil Infrastructure Systems
QDSBG Chair Position in Civil Infrastructure Systems
Location - Doha,QA
Civil And Architectural Engineering
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering and Computer Science with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various developmental aspects of the country. The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering utilizes advanced teaching and learning tools and well-equipped laboratories. The Civil Engineering Program is ABET accredited.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering (CAE) at Qatar University (QU) has an opening for a Chair Position in Civil Infrastructure Systems at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor, depending on qualifications. This position is open to applicants whose expertise and research interests are in structural/infrastructure engineering. The successful applicant is expected to establish strong links between the department and the local infrastructure industry in general, and QDSBG in particular, to promote research and to harvest externally funded research in the area of interest pertaining to sustainability in the framework of structural resilience and infrastructure engineering. Research focusing on, but not limited to, innovation in structures and health monitoring of infrastructure in the State of Qatar are encouraged. Collaboration is anticipated with government and non-government entities such as Ashghal, Ministry of Municipality and Urban Planning, Kahrama, Ministry of Environment, and any new major development like Lusail, Musherib and others. Good collaboration with existing faculty and the ability to link with others in the field are anticipated from the chair holder.
Successful applicants should be able to:
1. Lead research and help to strengthen the department in the area of Civil Infrastructure Systems.
2. Actively seek and secure research funding to support the department’s ambitious growth in Qatar.
3. Contribute to priority research areas of the department.
4. Contribute to collaborative research, consulting and short courses in partnership with local industries.
5. Contribute to the delivery of the Civil Engineering Program by offering new elective undergraduate and graduate courses in infrastructure engineering.
6. Support our capstone design course via having externship opportunities for students.
7. Support the summer training course taken by our students.
8. Have a collegiate atmosphere in the department and college.
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering. They should also have expertise in the relevant areas and a track record of scholarly activities in the field. Excellent command of the English language is necessary. Industrial experience is a plus. Experience in managing research projects and collaboration with industry and governmental agencies, and/or professional practice would be advantageous.
Letter of interest, vitae, statements of teaching and research philosophies, and names of three referees are to be submitted through the Qatar University (QU) Online Recruitment System. You need to set-up an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete, you may use it to apply for an open position. Additional requirements might include request for samples of selected published research papers, if the applicant is short-listed for the position.
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member anddependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligiblecandidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordancewith QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.