Full/Associate Professor in Architecture & Urban Design
Full/Associate Professor in Architecture & Urban Design
Location - Doha,QA
Department of Architecture and Urban Planning
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical and Computer Science engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various developmental aspects of the country.
Duties & Responsibilities
The recent rapid development of Qatar is associated with a fast track urbanization process, marked by large scale work, learning and residential environments, and mixed use developments with sustained attempts to strike a balance between tradition and modernity. The unprecedented growth in the building and urban development industry, already considered the second largest industry in the state of Qatar—following the Oil and Gas industries, has created a pressing demand for architects and planners with specialized training to design, plan and direct the activities of the industry.
As part of the Department of Architecture and Urban Planning-DAUP, a Bachelor of Architecture degree program started in September 2009, a Master of Urban Planning and Design started in 2010, and a Ph.D. program in Architecture and Urban Planning started in 2013. The undergraduate program is a five year professional program that aims to prepare students for the architectural profession leadership positions. Its main objective is to graduate architects who can play multiple roles in the design, building and construction industry within Qatari society and can compete with their counterparts, while positioning themselves distinctively in a competitive global market. The programs offers a broader foundation and is designed carefully to strike a balance between knowledge acquisition and assimilation, design creativity and practicality, analysis and synthesis, problem formulation and problem solving, and creativity and critical thinking. These qualities are reflected in rigorous and demanding curriculum that integrates lectures and studio experience at the intersection of culture, society, technology and environment.
The Department of Architecture and Urban Planning has a vacancy for a:Professor of Architecture & Urban Design (Studio Design Focus)
A hard working, committed and dedicated professional academic already holding the rank of Professorship in a recognized university, with the required architectural professional qualifications. With a robust architectural practice background, strong and innovative studio teaching history, and ability to teach a broad range of subjects in architectural and urban design as well as able to provide leadership and expertise in architectural studios as well as in the graduate programs of the Department. Expertise in CAD and parametric design tools, experience of teaching in professionally accredited architecture school and/or familiarity with accreditation processes will be an advantage. Successful candidates are expected to hold a PhD/Terminal Degree in Architecture and Urban Design and have expertise in the relevant areas and a track record of scholarly activities in the field. They will be expected to contribute to both undergraduate and graduate programs of the department. They will support and contribute in enhancing the teaching/learning experience in architectural education and support the department towards a successful accreditation process. Excellence in teaching, experience in using modern IT tools in classrooms and studios, and an excellent command of the English language are essential. Experience in attracting research funds and managing research projects and/or professional practice would be advantageous.
Application deadline: Mon, 10th April 2017
Position category: Academic
Employment type: Full time
Position term: Three years
Successful applicants should be able to:
1. Provide academic expertise and leadership in the related fields of architectural studio design teaching and learning
2. Contribute towards the international accreditation of related programs.
3. Adopt and develop a “student centered” approach to teaching and learning, a strong commitment to research based-teaching/learning experiences
4. Teach related courses, studios, and projects across the programs related to Architectural design, urban design, and urban planning.
5. Contribute to teaching in the Master of Urban planning and Design program as well as the Bachelor of Architecture program.
6. Expertise in computer aided design techniques: CAD, GIS and Parametric Design applications in teaching and research is essential.
7. Innovate and contribute in collaborative research, consulting and training courses in conjunction with local communities and industries
8. Publish and disseminate research in high IF-journals and international conferences
9. Attract research funds and develop-lead high-caliber scholarly endeavors
10. Experience in using course management environments such as Blackboard to support taught courses and assessment
11. Contribute to a collegiate atmosphere in the Department and College
12. Advise undergraduate and graduate students and be involved effectively in consulting, service duties, committee work.
1. University online application;
2. Curriculum vitae with cover letter;
3. Degree certificate and transcript
4. At least three references including referees’ contact details
1. A three-year renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.