Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Physical Chemistry
Location - Doha,QA
Chemistry and Earth Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The “Department of Chemistry and Earth Sciences” consists of two programs, Chemistry and Geology. The B.Sc. degree program in chemistry is accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry (CSC).The department currently is a home of more than 50 staff members (30 full-time faculty members with expertise in all areas of chemistry, 8 teaching assistants, and 14 technicians). We strive to build a generation equipped with knowledge, competence and modern and comprehensive education in chemistry. The department currently has more than 200 students. In addition, it offers courses to various programs in Qatar University including Biology, Environmental Science, Biomedical Sciences, Engineering, Health Sciences, Human Nutrition, Medicine and Pharmacy. The department is facilitated with a wide range of modern instrumentation including ICP-MS, LC-MS, GC-MS, and UV and IR spectrophotometers. The department has been collaborating with both the national and international communities as the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC, UK), the American Chemical Society (ACS, USA), United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) in numerous aspects, Fields of collaboration include: organizing symposiums and public lectures and by hosting workshops and symposia together with other international communities. The majority of the faculty members are active in teaching and research and several have been awarded major funding from the Qatar National Research Fund.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in the area of Physical & General Chemistry;
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level;
- Contribute to the research profile of the college through research publications;
- Contribute to developing new curricula and research areas;
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- PhD. in Physical Chemistry;
- Strong peer reviewed publication record;
- Teaching experience at university level for at least three years (preference is given to applicants with teaching experience in computational chemistry);
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector;
- Willingness to work with teams;
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (preference is given to Arabic and English Speakers).
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.