Assistant/Associate Professor in Biomechanics and Movement Analysis
Location - Doha, QA
Sports Science Program
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
Since its inception in 2011, the Sport Science Program has been growing rapidly regarding both the number of enrolled students and faculty members. It is composed of an international faculty including 3 associate professors, 9 assistant professors, 4 teaching assistants, and 1 administrative assistant. It is the only academic Sport Science Program in Qatar and thrives to become a leading department in sport sciences regional. The Program's instruction is conducted in English language, covering a wide range of scientific disciplines, such as physiology, psychology, sociology, biomechanics, management, marketing, motor learning, and physical education. The Program offers three optional concentrations namely Physical Education, Exercise and Fitness and Sport Management. A Master of Science degree program in Sports Management is currently under development.
The Program maintains close working relations with major institutions in Qatar including: Qatar Olympic Committee, Qatar Olympic Academy ASPIRE, ASPETAR, Hamad Hospital and Doha British School.
The mission of our program is to “promote knowledge related to human movement in order to improve life quality”. The mission is accomplished by: (1) providing students with knowledge, skills and abilities to improve health; (2) preparing student to become future leaders in the public and private sectors in various related fields to sport, exercise and health; and (3) engage students in sport, physical activity, exercise and health related research.
For more information about Sport Science Program at the College of Arts and Sciences please visit the following webpage: http://www.qu.edu.qa/artssciences/sportscience/
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate courses in biomechanics and other sport science courses as assigned
- Supervise students project and advice students in research projects
- Engage in scholarly activity, in relevant research fields, promoting collaborative and interdisciplinary research and applying for research funding.
- Serve on departmental, college and/or university committees as assigned and provide service to the profession and community.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with external stakeholders, academic/technical staff, and students.
The successful candidate should:
- have an earned PhD in Biomechanics
- have a demonstrated publication record in reputable, peer-reviewed scholarly journals
- have a proven ability to deliver a wide variety of undergraduate biomechanics courses with the use of educational technologies in the higher education sector
- be well integrated to international networks and preferably good understanding of local and regional sport market and industry
- excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.