Research Assistant in Humanities
Research Assistant in Humanities (1 year contract)
Location - Doha,QA
Center for Humanities and Social Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The College of Arts and Sciences at Qatar University, invites applications for a post of Research Assistant In Social Sciences in the Center for Humanities and Social Sciences.
The main objectives of the Center are:
1. Promoting and increasing collaborative multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research projects in the humanities and social sciences within and beyond Qatar University,
2.Maximizing the rate of growth of successfully awarded research grants in the humanities and social sciences in CAS and the University,
3.Supporting young researchers in CAS and the university to become more capable to conduct research in their fields,
4.Providing research services as an expert clearing house for the university community, other educational institutions, government agencies and the industrial and commercial sector to improve planning, productivity and services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Assist the director, coordinators and research associates as needed in activities of the center
• Provide logistic support for center conferences, workshops and symposia.
• Participate in ongoing research projects as appropriate
• Employ innovative tools of interdisciplinary research in the disciplines of the Social Sciences represented at Qatar University
• Enhance academic cooperation within the college, the university and the wider research community.
• BA or MA in any field of the Social Sciences, with relevance to developing research in the Gulf region given priority.
• Potential for successful academic research and publications.
• Ability to create and oversee research programs and research agendas.
• Possess excellent social and communication skills including good command of Arabic/English.
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. A One Year contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.