Associate Director in Major Research Investment
- Join Australia's number 1 University †
- Career opportunities, professional development, work-life balance.
Salary: $152,302 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The Associate Director (AD) Major Research Investment supports the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research (DVC(R)) with the incubation and development of key research major initiatives and whole-of-University projects with a research interface.
The AD brings a detailed knowledge of research management/operations and business acumen to bear on complex University-wide or cross-Faculty strategic projects and initiatives, ensuring effective and sustainable outcomes for the University.
In this role you will oversee the strategic investment budget of the DVC(R) to ensure strategic alignment and return on investment, good fiscal management and effective communication with relevant stakeholders. You will support the DVC(R) through the application of due diligence to investment decisions, whilst also ensuring appropriate documentation and monitoring of deliverables and reporting obligations.
You will provide leadership in the coordination and maturation of key research initiatives in line with the Melbourne Operating Model within the Chancellery Division and in alignment with the University's Growing Esteem strategy. You will be an effective problem solver and negotiator, tactful communicator and adept at working in a complex environment.
The AD reports to the Director Research Strategy in Chancellery (Research), and is a senior member of the Chancellery (Research) team. The AD works collaboratively with other senior leaders in Chancellery, including the Policy and Projects group, as well as Academic Divisions and University Services.
- Postgraduate qualifications, preferably in science, engineering or business administration, with extensive relevant experience; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training
- Proven extensive experience over a substantive period relating to research management and/or operations within Higher Education, Government or Industry, including with complex governance issues;
- Demonstrated track record in successfully planning and executing on research based programs and projects, including (for example) the development of business cases, options papers, board papers, and so on;
- Demonstrated versatility, flexibility, and a high level of self motivation and initiative to recommend, develop and implement innovative solutions, and a capacity to work effectively as a team member and individually as required.
† The University of Melbourne is the Number 1 University in Australia and among the leading Universities in the world, according to The Times Higher Education world reputational ranking, the National Taiwan University ranking, The Times Higher Education world university ranking and Shanghai Jiao Tong Academic Ranking of World Universities.
Please submit a cover letter, CV and document addressing the key selection criteria listed in the position description.
Close date: 28 Mar 2017
Position Description and Selection Criteria*
*For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/search/info/selection-criteria