Superintendent (Scheduling, construction management and coordination)
Superintendent (Scheduling, construction management and coordination) /Pilote OPC (Ordonnancement, Pilotage, Coordination) in the Site Management and Building department (SMB), Site engineering group (SE), Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) section.
- The Site Engineering Group (SE), which builds and maintains the Organization's sites (two main sites and 15 satellite sites), buildings (more than 500, totalling a usable surface area of 500,000 m2) and underground structures (over 60 km of machine tunnels and service tunnels). The group's responsibilities cover all phases of a project, from the preliminary design study to the completion of construction. The group also remains responsible for the infrastructures throughout their life cycles.
- The Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) Section (part of the SE Group) is responsible for organising, coordinating and supervising the execution of work related to buildings and civil engineering infrastructures. The activities managed by the section cover the building of new structures, maintenance and renovation. Around 20 people, including architects, engineers and construction technicians, are employed in the section.
As Superintendent, you will be responsible for the coordination of the execution of building and infrastructure construction projects. You will:
- Supervise the execution of the work in close collaboration with the project manager.
- Coordinate the various trades on site.
- Monitor execution schedules and budgets (including verification of quotations, bills of quantities and invoices).
- Assess contractor's variations proposals.
- Manage on-site quality control.
- Ensure that safety rules are followed on the worksite.
- Prepare and carry out the acceptance tests at the completion of the works.
- Report weekly to the project manager.
Higher technical diploma in the field of construction management, civil engineering, or architecture, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as Superintendent/Construction Manager on building or infrastructure projects.
- Proven experience on projects requiring coordination of various work packages.
- Experience in the industrial and/or scientific environment will be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control.
- Quality management.
- Industrial and civil building and infrastructure design and construction.
- Construction cost control.
- Site safety management.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 09.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.