Postdoc position for the ERACoSysMed Project
The Department of Biology at the Faculty of Natural Sciences is currently recruiting a Postdoctoral Fellow for the ERACoSysMed project COLOSYS - A systems approach to preventing drug resistance in colon cancer. The project is financed by ERA-NET.
The position is for a period of two years, starting as soon as possible. Applicants must hold a PhD in one of the relevant research areas described below (see also the more detailed requirements). The COLOSYS project (www.colosys.org) has as its main goal the development of approaches to predict the development of drug resistance of colon cancer. These predictions require computational tools and mathematical models (e.g. Boolean models) of colon cancer cells, to simulate how molecular interactions drive a colon cancer patient’s response to medicine. These predictions subsequently need to be tested in the lab, through various experiment types: cell culture, organoids, and patient derived xenografts.
The COLOSYS project is one of 3 projects (COLOSYS, DrugLogics and Crossover Research 2.0) all operating under the DrugLogics umbrella (www.DrugLogics-NTNU.org), which is embedded in the Digital Life centre at NTNU, so you will be part of an interdisciplinary group of 10 newly recruited people working together on complementary tasks, involving thee NTNU departments: Department of Biology, Gløshaugen campus; Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Øya campus; and Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies. For the COLOSYS project we currently seek a talented, enthusiastic and creative scientist who will work closely together with the other team members.
Some examples of tasks to be carried out in the COLOSYS project are:
- Develop software tools and algorithms for data analysis and computational simulations/logical modelling.
- Develop cancer omics data analysis approaches to generate information for computational models of cancer.
- Extraction of information from existing pathway databases, design of a ‘causality relationship ontology’, and work with providers of established resources.
- Collaborate in an international network with computational biologists and cancer clinicians to develop an integrated approach to predict drug effects for cancer treatments.
We seek candidates that are team players, motivated and able to engage in interdisciplinary collaboration, have good communication and networking skills, are proactive and forthcoming, and able to work independently if needed.
You will have the following qualifications:
- PhD in Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Physics or related area.
- Track record in Bioinformatics/Computational Biology.
- Excellent programming skills in Java and C++.
- Skilled in R/Bioconductor.
Preferred additional qualifications:
- Experience with cellular pathway modelling.
- Efficient at learning new computer languages and computational tools when needed.
Terms of employment
The appointment of the Postdoc will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees.
NTNU’s personnel policy objective is that the staff must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent.
The position as Postdoc is remunerated according to the Norwegian State salary scale. There is a 2% deduction for superannuation contribution.
Further information can be obtained from:
More information regarding moving to Trondheim, Norway and working at NTNU (www.ntnu.edu/nirs).
The application should include:
- Project description (1 page) indicating how the applicant envisages her/his contribution within the project
- CV (including list of publications and relevant former positions)
- Copy of relevant transcripts and diplomas
- Short statement from a former supervisor/tutor/teacher
- Contact information for two references (including email addresses and telephone number)
The working languages will be Norwegian and/or English. Candidates from universities outside Scandinavia and English speaking countries are kindly requested to document English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
All information must be submitted electronically through this page. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
The reference number of the position is: NV-44/17
Application deadline: 26 March 2017
About this job
- Deadline 3/26/2017
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 135220
- Internal ID NV-44/17
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!