Associate Director for Alumni Career Services & Networks
The purpose of Development and Institute Relations (DIR) is to foster a thriving and engaged community of support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. DIR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
The Caltech Alumni Association celebrates the unique value and character of the Caltech experience and empowers the alumni community to thrive and connect with Caltech and each other.
In service to Caltech and the alumni community, we desire the following long-range outcomes for alumni engagement at Caltech:
• Caltech is engaged with all alumni.
• Alumni are valued and celebrated by the Institute.
• Alumni add value to and promote the Institute.
• Alumni are well-served by and of service to the Institute.
• Caltech’s alumni are well-informed by and have a clear voice at the Institute.
• Alumni contribute to the quality of student life at the Institute.
• Students and alumni see themselves as part of a lifelong Caltech community.
The Associate Director, Alumni Career Services & Networks works in the Office of Alumni Relations and reports to the Executive Director of the Caltech Alumni Association/Director of Alumni Relations. The successful candidate will help build a network of alumni that uses their leadership, expertise and connections to help each other thrive in their careers. The candidate will direct an alumni career services program that compares favorably with the best in American higher education.
• Lead and expand a comprehensive career services program that compares favorably with the best in American higher education. Harness the expertise and influence of Caltech alumni in support of their career optimization. Meet the unique professional development needs of alumni at the different stages of their careers.
• Collaborate with team members and campus partners to connect alumni and students and meet shared goals. Key partnerships include the Career Development Center, Diversity Center, and Divisions.
• Expand Caltech Women’s Network programming both in person and virtually. Increase number of activities, volunteers, and participants.
• Increase opportunities for alumni to give back in relevant and meaningful ways especially to current students. Generate and sustain meaningful volunteer opportunities for alumni. Attract, retain, track, and steward alumni volunteers. Weave volunteer opportunities throughout programs.
• Advance the strength of the relationship between Caltech and our alumni.
• Expand affinity group programming especially around URM and industries.
• Develop and maintain programs and platforms for students and alumni that match interest areas, promote networking, support mentoring or facilitate discussions around important issues or challenging questions.
• Communications: Create content for and utilize multi-channel platforms to communicate with and engage alumni. Manage and create content for career pages on the alumni website. Produce marketing materials and event invitations.
• Execute events, programs, communications, and activities that enhance career prospects for alumni. These could involve faculty, staff, alumni, and outside experts or vendors and range from professional development advice to enhancement of soft-skills.
• Produce, host, and promote webinars, chats, panels, AMAs, and talks by alumni for alumni and students.
• Develop short and longer term advising and mentoring programs—alumni to alumni and alumni to students.
• Help current students and alumni broaden view and knowledge of career options especially those outside academia through the alumni network.
• Keep well-informed of alumni accomplishments across industries and share these with the community and campus leadership.
• Manage program budget, track and analyze data for trends, impact, and reporting.
• Regularly collect, analyze, and report on alumni industry engagement data, key employers of alumni. Review employer contact information in database and partner with advancement services and campus colleagues to ensure completeness.
• Staff committees or workgroups of the Caltech Alumni Association as needed. Participate in quarterly board meetings.
• Staff large alumni events such as Reunion Weekend as needed—may host events at Reunion Weekend.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
• Five or more years of experience in career services.
• Strong knowledge of industry best practices in alumni career services.
• Demonstrated success in program management & strategic planning.
• Exceptional writing, communication, and presentation skills.
• Ability to work productively and diplomatically in complex organizations.
• Ability to work in a hands-on environment with limited resources; demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit.
• Ability to build authentic and meaningful relationships with students and alumni.
• Self-starter with a positive attitude. Comfort and ease working with ambiguity and ability to re-prioritize projects to meet program and team goals.
• Must be able to work evenings and weekends and travel approximately 1-2 times per month.
• Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values.
• Patience and enthusiasm to learn and embrace the unique culture of Caltech.
• Volunteer management experience.
• Higher education experience.
• An authentic curiosity about science and technology, a strong appreciation for the extraordinary intellectual accomplishments and challenges of Caltech students, alumni and faculty.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/06/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.