Research Scientist in Biology
7 days left
- Full Time
This full time position seeks a highly motivated individual to join a biotechnology-centered laboratory in the Division of Biology and BioEngineering at Caltech. The successful candidate will work with a multidisciplinary and dynamic research team on a genome-wide project to study cell surface protein interactions.
The project is part of a collaborative research initiative entitled the Human Interactome Project (HIP) in collaboration with the Center for Receptor-Ligand Discovery at Stanford University School of Medicine.
The position requires a highly self-motivated individual who has demonstrated exceptional performance in an intellectual environment by exhibiting creativity, ingenuity, scientific rigor and strong problem solving and analytical skills. The successful candidate will contribute to a project that involves protein biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology and bioengineering techniques, including high-throughput, automated technologies and platforms.
• Conceive, develop and optimize high-throughput platforms for recombinant protein production and protein-protein interaction screening.
• Perform carefully-designed, meticulously-executed and well-documented optimization experiments to assist in the development of novel biotechnology high-throughput platforms, establish new lab protocols and recommend appropriate modifications to existing ones.
• Maintain and transfect mammalian suspension cell lines for recombinant protein expression using both traditional methods and automated high throughput techniques.
• Perform protein biochemistry techniques (e.g. Western blotting) and protein purification to characterize recombinant proteins.
• Perform protein-protein interaction assays (e.g. ELISA, SPR, co-IP) using both traditional methods and automated high-throughput technologies.
• Perform molecular biology techniques including cloning (e.g. PCR, gel electrophoresis, sequencing and validating constructs, etc..) and plasmid preparation.
• Analyze results and prepare data for presentation and/or publication.
• Establish and maintain multi-location, barcoded, cloud-based tracking system, maintain inventory records and oversee inventory.
• Exhibit exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, meticulous note-taking capabilities (handwritten and digital) and maintain thorough documentation of all experiments and results.
• Perform general lab duties including buffer and reagent prep involving standard laboratory calculations and conversions.
• Obtain quotes for purchasing equipment, consumables and reagents from company Sales Reps; order materials, parts and supplies for laboratory research; maintain laboratory records of equipment and supplies; maintain laboratory organization and upkeep; maintain laboratory equipment in pristine operating condition; monitor equipment for repair and maintenance needs.
• Train lab helpers in lab methods and protocols.
• As this position will involve working closely with the Director of the Caltech Protein Expression Center and the Project Director of the Human Interactome Project at Stanford University School of Medicine, communication skills will be weighed heavily.
• Other duties as assigned.
• BA or BS in Biology, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biological Chemistry or related field and at least two years of experience in a biology research laboratory.
• Demonstrated proficiency with mammalian tissue culture and sterile technique, transfection, protein purification and protein biochemistry techniques, DNA cloning and other molecular biology techniques.
• Demonstrated ability to design, plan, carry out, evaluate, optimize and troubleshoot experiments and willingness to learn new techniques and skills.
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
• Demonstrated attention to detail and organized, accurate record keeping in lab notebooks (paper and digital), excellent time management skills and strong organizational skills in experimental data processing and representation (excel and programming skills).
• Demonstrated ability to work on multiple assignments, set priorities, change priorities with ease mid-task, take initiative in defining and executing tasks, and exhibit flexibility, good judgement and ingenuity.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team player.
• MS or PhD in Biology Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biological Chemistry or related field.
• Experience with liquid handling instruments and automation.
• Experience with the design and implementation of high-throughput screening techniques.
• Entry level mechanical and engineering skills or strong motivation to acquire these skills.
• Experience with the Bio-Plex 200 System, Octet/BLitz System, ProteinSimple Western System.
• Experience with large scale inventory system management using 2D barcode scanning.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/02/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.