Development Assistant, Academic Divisions and Regions
6 days left
- Full Time
The purpose of Development and Institute Relations (DIR) is to foster a thriving and engaged community of support for Caltech. By connecting the people who share and support Caltech’s mission and values, we will ensure the Institute receives the necessary resources to achieve Caltech’s aspirations and sustain its excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship in perpetuity. DIR team members embrace and uphold the values of diversity, integrity, respect, focus, and pride.
Under general direction, the Development Assistant provides administrative support in the Academic Divisions and Regions (ADR) unit in DIR. This position requires a thorough understanding and application of internal DIR processes and Institute policies and procedures as well as an ability to multitask in a high volume environment, anticipate needs, display initiative and will independently manage projects and assignments while also functioning as a team member.
• Administer the day-to-day activities of the assigned development officers in ADR in a highly collaborative team-oriented manner.
• Provide administrative support to the assigned development officers in ADR, including calendaring, planning and executing travel arrangements with itinerary, preparing correspondence, donor database updates, filing, and providing general support for other departmental staff as needed. May have accesses to sensitive and confidential information.
• Develop a strong understanding of the important components of the assigned development officers’ success so as to initiate and/or respond with appropriate and excellent support. Anticipate needs by monitoring the upcoming work schedule and future events.
• Demonstrate excellent judgment and interpersonal skills in responding to inquiries from prospects or donors while maintaining the utmost confidentiality. Exercise independent thinking and ownership of projects. Conceptualize, plan and implement multi-step projects with minimal supervision.
• Develop and apply specialized knowledge and expertise to utilize and maintain information in the donor database. Perform data entry, develops, edits, and produces communications, reports and presentation materials for internal and external audiences. These include department bi‐ monthly activity tracking of Consults, Solicits, Proposals, Visits, drafting Presidential and event donor briefings, drafting bi‐monthly program updates, correspondence, meeting agendas and attending meetings to record minutes.
• Performs research and analysis including running Constituent Reports, running biographical information and researching donor interest to create visit packets, adjusting trip changes, tracking visit reports, and monitoring and preparing travel expense reports through Card Quest.
• Work closely with other staff in coordination of meeting and events. Provide administrative support at meetings and events as needed.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned by Development Program Manager and AVP Office with minimal oversight.
• Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• 3 years of progressively responsible administrative experience.
• Ability to take initiative to organize and coordinate activities/projects and follow-through on all aspects of assignments while maintaining high quality control.
• Must be able to set priorities and work independently with frequent interruptions, while balancing multiple requests. Ability to use discretion and independent judgment to derive useful information in communication with colleagues, donors and their families on sensitive issues and confidential matters.
• Well spoken, cooperative team player with the highest standards of professionalism maintained at all times. Excellent written and verbal communication skills required, with ability to communicate clearly and tactfully.
• Must possess strong customer service orientation and skills, demonstrating a professional and friendly demeanor and ability to anticipate and provide helpful service to internal and external customers.
• Data-driven and technically proficient, extremely detail oriented, including outstanding proofreading skills.
• Experience coordinating travel and scheduling meetings.
• Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel and knowledge of databases.
• Ability to trouble shoot standard office equipment.
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
• Demonstrate the ability to practice and adhere to organizational values.
• Preferred experience in Advance database or other fundraising databases.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/02/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.