Executive Director - International Education
Executive Director - International Education
SUNY Empire State College offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced international educator who can bring strategic leadership and innovative thinking to the position of Executive Director of International Education as the college moves to expand its activities in international education. The successful candidate will have the capacity to raise the college's profile as a leader in innovative international programming, expand partnerships with non-US institutions of higher education and other organizations, work with faculty to internationalize the curriculum, expand study tours and study abroad opportunities appropriate for working adult students, promote international faculty collaboration in online education, and foster international faculty exchange.
Reporting to the vice provost for academic programs in the office of academic affairs, the executive director will be based in Saratoga Springs, New York, and will be expected to travel abroad extensively. This position is supported by regional directors for European and Middle East regions, administrative staff based at overseas partner college locations and the staff of the Office of International Programs in the college's administrative headquarters in Saratoga Springs, NY.
International programs have been an element of the institution from the start, extending the opportunity for an American education and a SUNY degree to students residing in their home country. Current programs include partnerships in Greece, Lebanon, the Czech Republic, Albania, Turkey, and the Dominican Republic. The college is accredited through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The Executive Director is responsible for the following:
- Serve as the college's Senior International Officer, consult with a college wide international education council, and serve as liaison between the college and the office of global affairs in the system administration of the State University of New York.
- Lead the development of a strategy for identifying regions, institutions of higher education and other organizations where successful partnerships can be developed in keeping with Empire State College mission and priorities and have a broad understanding of higher education globally.
- Make international opportunities a more visible and accessible resource for all academic programs, students and faculty
- Manage existing partnerships and sustained and steady growth of international student enrollment in programs delivered at partner institutions outside the US and online.
- Ensure academic excellence through collaboration with faculty in innovative curricular design and delivery using up-to-date online technology.
- Oversee administrative processes, develop and manage program budgets, increase the reputation and market visibility of the programs, effectively manage international relationships, and work collaboratively within the college to engage the full range of support services needed to make the programs work smoothly.
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited US institution or equivalent non-US institution.
- Minimum of five years' experience at a leadership level in international education.
- Strong skills in communication and organization.
- Ability to work effectively in collaborative settings with an international community of individuals from a variety of ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ethical values and professional and personal integrity.
- Experience in development and management of programs for international students.
- Demonstrated ability to engage successfully in collaboration with international institutions and other international organizations.
- Understanding of the laws, regulations and accreditation expectations that govern higher education outside the US.
- Ability to make the college's international programs financially self-sustaining.
- Progressively responsible professional/administrative experience in planning, budget, supervision and program development.
- Significant experience in the delivery of online and blended learning programs.
- Ability to travel extensively outside the US for purposes of partnership development and maintenance and assurance of program quality.
- Creative skills necessary to market and promote international programs internally and externally.
Desired Attributes and Experiences:
- Earned doctorate from a regionally accredited US institution or equivalent non-US institution
- Experience living, working and/or studying in other countries
- Experience teaching at the college level in courses/programs with an international emphasis
- Fluency in one or more modern languages in addition to English, and/or experience in developing and delivering academic programs outside the US with non-US partners in higher education
Applications Due by: Applications accepted until position is filled.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security