Raw Materials Supply Manager
Raw materials supply manager in the Stores (SO) section of the Supply Chain (SC) group, within the Site Management and Buildings (SMB) department.
With over 1500 different products, a dedicated 2300 m2 warehouse for storage and cutting, and over 15 000 requests per year, the management of raw materials is one of the main activities of the Stores section. More than 1800 order lines are processed per year to ensure that this warehouse is adequately stocked for the Organization's needs.
The successful candidate will join the Site Management and Buildings (SMB) department, which is responsible for maintaining and renovating the Organization's structures and infrastructures, operating the technical services of the tertiary structures and infrastructures, providing general services and guaranteeing the security of people and property on the sites. More information is available here: https://smb-dep.web.cern.ch.
- Within the SMB department, the Supply Chain (SC) group provides logistics (shipping, reception and distribution of goods and waste management) and stores services for all CERN departments and for the entire user community. More information is available here: ttps://smb-dep.web.cern.ch/en/Service/Logistic
- The Stores (SO) section is responsible for defining standard equipment (long-term needs and recurrent use), classifying it and publishing it in the internal web-based catalogue, as well as for managing supplies, orders and running the warehouses used for storage and order preparation.
Technical responsibility for the standardisation of raw materials (metal, plastics, wood), including those used for high-tech applications (cryogenics, radiofrequency, vacuum, pressurised equipment, etc.):
- Researching and studying new items to be standardised, as well as rationalising and updating existing items;
- Contacting scientific users and working closely with them to keep up-to-date with and be able to satisfy their requirements for frequently used items;
- Organising and managing the work of technical groups working on the standardisation of items;
- Involvement in the evaluation and qualification of firms
Initiating and monitoring the procurement process for these materials:
- Working closely with the Procurement Service on the launch of invitations to tender and the adjudication of new contracts.
- Drawing up detailed technical specifications for complex equipment, referring as much as possible to European or international standards.
- Defining and checking the follow-up of test procedures for quality control.
- Technical analysis of bids and selection of products in order to finalise contracts or orders with the firms concerned.
- Working with bidding firms on the development and improvement of certain special equipment, particularly with regard to products subject to safety constraints;
- Managing and replenishing stocks.
- Monitoring orders and contracts in progress with suppliers.
- Ensuring that material certificates are received, archived and traceable, and that certificates are readily available for critical raw materials in the CERN raw materials store.
Processing requests for standard materials from the CERN departments and user community:
- Advising on and checking compatibility between the intended use and the material chosen.
- Monitoring the service level and taking corrective measures if necessary.
Drawing up and monitoring the procedures followed by the cutting workshop:
- Stock rules.
- Quality control.
- Reception, sampling and cutting operations for each material.
- Use and maintenance of machines.
Bachelor's degree in the field of mechanical engineering or materials, or professional experience deemed to be equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience of drafting and monitoring manufacturing and inspection plans.
- Good knowledge of international standards in the above-mentioned fields.
- Experience in procurement or supply of materials and in stock management (invitations to tender, order monitoring, calculation of re-order points and replenishment thresholds).
- Day-to-day use of MRP or ERP.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of Office software packages: ; mainly excel and word.
- Knowledge of materials used for ultra-vacuum technologies.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; taking appropriate corrective actions and adapting work / project plans if necessary.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.