Description of Work Unit
Provide ongoing support and maintenance of the Linux/UNIX systems and Storage Area Network (SAN) related to CSU’s central administrative systems.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced Systems Administrator to work at Colorado State University, one of Colorado’s premier higher education institutions. The position is located in CSU’s central Information Systems Department (IS). The IS Department is involved in production support and maintenance of CSU’s central administrative systems. Position will work as a team member in the IS Department and will be involved in deployment and ongoing production support and maintenance of Linux, AIX, and SAN storage systems. Must be a team player, analytical thinker, possess strong interpersonal skills, be organized and able to take initiative to solve problems. Must have ability to solve problems quickly and completely.
Required Job Qualifications
1. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related area; plus minimum 3 years of enterprise-level systems support in Oracle Linux and/or other Red Hat Linux derivatives.
2. Skills in supporting Linux with VM virtualization.
3. Skill and experience with Linux-based operating systems concepts such as: paging and swapping, inter-process communications, devices, device drivers, systems analysis, and tuning.
4. Ability to program in common shell scripts such as BASH and Korn Shell.
5. Skills in supporting SAN storage environments.
6. Strong written communication skills.
Preferred Job Qualifications
-Additional years of enterprise-level systems support experience in Linux environment beyond the minimum 3 years is desirable.
-Experience with Oracle VM and Oracle Enterprise Linux.
-Experience with industry standard x86_64 hardware.
-Experience with automated configuration tools such as Puppet, Ansible, and Chef.
-Apache Web Server and Tomcat configuration experience.
-Experience in Oracle database environment and related OS-tuning.
-Experience hardening Linux servers.
-Experience with hardware-based load-balancing (e.g., F5) or software-based load-balancing (e.g. Apache/Tomcat/WebLogic).
-Experience with IBM StorWize V7000 Unified storage.
-Skill in supporting AIX with LPAR/VIOS virtualization.
-Experience/Skills in upgrading IBM pSeries microcode and HMC software levels.
-Experience with MS Server and SQL Server related OS-tuning.
-Work unit leadership experience.
•Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Systems Administration Duty/Responsibility
• Provide enterprise-wide Systems infrastructure support for complex systems and interconnected technologies that require day-to-day support and administration in order to maintain optimum performance and utilization.
• Install, upgrade, and maintain system software and hardware products that are needed to support applications on the administrative server systems. Investigate system level problems to determine if the cause is hardware or software. Develop and maintain procedures required to test software installs and updates, and to support a stable environment, including full system backup and recovery.
• Provide a consulting role to support the software development staff on appropriate use of system software tools, evaluation of systems design and the evaluation of vendor-delivered software. This includes tools in the areas of software versioning/revision control (e.g., RCS, Git, Subversion), reports management/delivery (e.g., Vista Plus), and production scheduling/application automation (e.g., Application Manager).
• Assist the system support staff by providing guidance on implementation and configuration issues associated with the operating systems software and server hardware.
• Enhance system and database performance by researching existing performance problems, anticipating future performance problems, consulting with management, staff and vendors to assess problems, recommending solutions requiring expert knowledge, and implementing agreed upon solutions.
• Identify and correct the cause of failures and implement the most appropriate solution to expedite a resolution of the issue. Provide server hardware and software support, sometimes outside of the normal working hours.
• Advise other staff members in solving complex production issues.
Percentage Of Time 70 Job Duty Category Team Participation Duty/Responsibility
• Work collaboratively with database administrators, data architects and developer staff, and stakeholders in the planning and support of major system upgrades. Complete tasks as part of an implementation team managed internally and externally.
• Participate in assigned team(s) in Information Systems Department, as well as occasional cross-functional teams. Attend team and project meetings, communicate effectively and support other team members.
Percentage Of Time 20 Job Duty Category Project and Work Management Duty/Responsibility
Learn and use the IS Department’s change and project management processes and software tools to enter and track assigned work activities and hours.
Percentage Of Time 5 Job Duty Category Personal and Professional Development Duty/Responsibility
Engage in training and educational opportunities to learn new technologies and enhance personal and professional growth.
Percentage Of Time 5
Special Instructions to Applicants
In order to apply please submit resume, cover letter, and list of three to five professional references.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires), On-call Status
Search Contact Pat Spooner, 970-491-1587, firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.