Radio Frequency Technical Engineer
Radio Frequency Technical Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Radiofrequency group (RF), Superconducting RF (SRF) section.
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), which hosts the Groups responsible for beam generation, acceleration, diagnostics, controls and performance optimization.
- The Radiofrequency group (BE-RF); https://espace.cern.ch/be-dep/RF/default.aspx), responsible for the RF Acceleration and Transverse Damping Systems for CERN accelerators. Our team operates the RF systems of existing accelerators and participates to the design of future accelerators and upgrades of existing machines.
- The Superconducting RF (BE-RF-SRF) section, responsible for the construction and testing of Superconducting RF components and related infrastructure.
As an RF Technical Engineer in the Superconducting RF Section, you will be part of a team working on superconducting radio-frequency (SRF) with the aim of assembling, maintaining and testing high-performance superconducting RF components and infrastructure for CERN's present accelerators and future projects.
- Participate in the exploitation of the facilities for fabrication, testing and assembly of complex SRF systems and related equipment.
- Improve these systems and related test facilities as well as contribute to operating them in existing accelerators.
- Be responsible for the definition and implementation of future test facilities.
- Be responsible for RF measurements of components up-to complex cryomodule assemblies.
- Take responsibility for quality control procedures and documenting results.
- Join in the conceptual design of specific RF components and follow-up of production.
- Participate in the chemical treatment and cleaning of parts.
Bachelor's degree in the field of RF engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- A first relevant experience in the fields of RF engineering.
- Experience of working in RF component design, manufacturing and testing would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of large scale RF test facilities or superconducting RF equipment in existing accelerators.
- Design and fabrication of RF components.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems and/or PLCs.
- Quality management.
- Installation & dismantling of mechanical equipment & systems.
- LabView and Python skills would be an asset.
- Experience with the operation of cryogenic systems would be an asset.
- Experience in FPGA programming would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Demonstrating flexibility: actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French with the ability to understand and speak the other official language in routine situations or willingness to acquire this skill rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays;
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays;
- Work in radiation areas;
- Interventions in underground installations;
- A valid driving licence.