Field Security Officer
Provide a safe and secure environment to all members of the Caltech community including students, staff, faculty, visitors and guests. Protect Campus facilities, and personnel to preclude unauthorized access, theft, or vandalism. Respond to security calls and investigate suspicious activities. Review security monitors; enter and retrieve data utilizing the security management access system. Keep accurate log of events and occurrences based on security guidelines; maintain and prepare a variety of sensitive information, reports, and records (e.g. clients, investigations, etc.); may assist with coordination of projects and/or collection of related information. Assist in smooth transition between shifts.
Caltech offers a comprehensive benefit package that includes a broad range of programs. We offer benefits which include health and dental coverage, generous holiday and vacation leave accrual plans, a competitive retirement option, life insurance and other types of financial protection, tuition assistance for staff members, child care programs, credit union memberships, library privileges, and participation in cultural and social events.
In addition, as one of the top rated institutions in the world, Caltech offers the opportunity to work in a stimulating and diverse environment. Learn more about our benefits at: http://benefits.caltech.edu
If you are passionate about creating what is possible, consider coming to work at Caltech – apply online today!
- Under general supervision, works on semi-routine assignments where good judgment is required to accomplish assigned goals; nature of work reflects some variety and complexity.
- Applies advanced in-depth knowledge of all security support to coordinate and assist in day-to-day security operations; answers and initiates calls; communicates clearly using two-way radio using applicable 10-codes; coordinates tasks and/or projects; provides guidance to temporary security personnel.
- Maintains records and logs; inputs data into computer security management systems; and assembles, collates, maintains and files confidential and sensitive information; accurately documents, prepares and/or produces technical/standard reports for department.
- Patrols campus buildings and grounds (by foot, bicycle or cart) to provide and maintain safety and security for employees, students and guests, and to protect Institute facilities and property.
- Report all unusual circumstances, suspicious conduct and unsafe conditions.
- Responds to suspicious activity and/or disturbances; investigates and advises supervisor of situation, and recommends action.
- Responds to emergency situations, assesses situation, provides first aid and CPR if required, and coordinates needed action with supervisor.
- Responds to physical confrontations and assists in making arrests as necessary.
- Acts as primary contact for campus information during non-business hours; provides customer service and assistance.
- Escorts employees, faculty, guests and students as requested.
- Secures buildings and property during “lockdowns”.
- Raise and lower the American flag.
- Provides input in identifying and developing goals and objectives to improve services to the Institute.
- Assists in determining valid access and blocking or restricting access when requested; interfaces with local law enforcement agencies as necessary.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of Institute policies and procedures; participates in the development and implementation of Institute and Departmental policies and procedures related to security services.
- Must maintain acceptable attendance and punctuality standards.
- Must participate in training sessions and seminars.
- Must follow established procedures in dealing with potential hazards.
- Must exhibit a commitment to customer service and the concept of teamwork.
- Must have basic typing/computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Outlook, MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of individuals at all organizational levels. The selected candidate must also possess the ability to deal effectively with all members of the Institute community, its visitors and guests in a manner that is courteous, respectful, helpful and friendly, to maintain confidentiality concerning Institute matters in order to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism.
- Must exhibit thorough geographical knowledge of the campus within 30 days.
- Must patrol in all types of weather.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Must have at least one year of previous security experience.
- A Security Guard Card issued by the State of California is required.
- Must maintain a valid California Driver’s License throughout the course of employment.
- A Red Cross Standard First Aid Certification and CPR Certification is required or to be obtained within 30 days of employment.
- Must be in the physical condition appropriate to conduct Security Officer activities as outlined in the job description. Including being able to lift 30 pounds on a regular basis and up to 100 pounds of security barriers and poles on an as needed basis.
- Must be able to walk, climb stairs, bend, and reach continuously during the course of the shift.
- Must be able to respond to emergencies, which may involve running up to 5 blocks across Campus, around obstacles and climb up to 9 flights of stairs.
- Must have clear concise written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Must be Flexible to work any shift as assigned.
- A PC 832 Certificate and/or First Responder/EMT Certificate a plus.
- Police background, a positive attitude to career change, and flexibility in a changing environment are highly desirable for this position.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/28/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.