Digital Library System Administrator
Closing Date: 27 March 2017
Salary & Benefits: RMB136,000 to RMB193,000 per annum before all deductions, depending on qualifications and experience
Working Location: Ningbo
This role is essential to the provision of access to the increasing proportion of library materials which are delivered electronically: it supports selection and renewal decisions, implements decisions about the user interface and ensures its continuous availability. The role holder interprets the systems to the users and to library-based colleagues, and interprets their requirements to the systems and their vendors.
- First degree in Librarianship and/or Information or Computer Studies OR first degree in another subject and significant experience in library technologies;
- High standard of computer and internet literacy;
- Understanding of the business and technical models through which access to e-resources is created and sold: publisher “big deals”, licensing, link resolvers, identity and authentication management;
- Awareness of Web 2.0 developments relevant to e-resource delivery;
- Good project management skills developed through the implementation of library management systems;
- Planning, problem solving and the ability to demonstrate this through the application of continuous improvement processes;
- Implementation of resource discovery and management systems;
- Support of users of IT-based systems, and/or support of users of library and information services in Higher Education;
- Commitment to excellence in service to users;
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all levels of technical knowledge (staff, students, system vendors);
- Interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Ability to work to deadlines, and to prioritise appropriately under pressure;
- Self-motivation and enthusiasm – ability to work productively without close supervision.
- Post-graduate qualification in Librarianship and/or Information or Computer Studies;
- Knowledge of HTML and web page management;
- Understanding of MS Operating Systems and networking (AD);
- Knowledge of federated access management systems such as Shibboleth;
- Management of e-resources;
- Support of e-resource users;
- Experience of supporting institutional repositories;
- Experience of ExLibris systems, especially Primo, MetaLib, and SFX;
- Experience of project management;
- Understanding of the information requirements and information-seeking behaviour of students and researchers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To project plan, manage and support a variety of system related projects working closely with colleagues in Library, Research and Learning Resources and the two international campuses.
- To manage, implement and co-ordinate a wide variety of system configurations, consulting and co-operating with other Library and IT staff to develop requirements and identify issues that may impact the success of this major service.
- To maintain the consistency of the Aleph, MetaLib, Primo, and SFX by applying knowledge-based updates, service packs, version upgrades and fixes when required, to ensure that end-users are accessing up-to-date software and resources.
- To liaise with the system vendors; define University user system requirements; be the technical lead for system testing; provide technical sign off of business processes; provide technical support to business process development and improvement; and develop and deliver post implementation technical support.
- To provide a technical support service ensuring it is responsive to customer needs as well as proactively ensuring best practice in both technical development and identification of key University benefits.
- Identify, investigate and solve problems that may arise with the systems and interfaces so that day-to-day running of the University may continue uninterrupted. Liaise with external providers as necessary to solve problems and address issues.
- Investigate and resolve queries from end-users about systems-related electronic journal/resource access, to ensure that the correct access is available and working. Liaise with publishers/subscription agents/aggregators, in response to the more difficult and technical-related access enquiries, to ensure a swift resolution to these problems.
- Ensure access to e-resources for UNNC users is controlled correctly:
- participate in the development of use of Shibboleth authentication;
- participate in development of use of EZProxy.
- Acting as the system expert, design and deliver training, coaching and user guides to ensure consistency of application across the system structure in all three campuses.
- Monitor licence and server requirements, and maintain an up-to-date record of licence terms.
- To strive continually to improve the University’s library management systems, as well as the technical support service delivered by the team, through continual challenge and process improvement.
- Support the development of future business process improvement and change management plans to ensure successful implementation.
- Ensure that system functionality meets the delivery of University requirements and library strategic plans.
- Regularly review and monitor performance against SLA milestones and KPIs. Audit performance and quality against targets, taking ownership to implement appropriate corrective action when required.
- Ensure cost effectiveness through full use and realisation of library management systems, continually seeking, proposing and delivering new ways to improve efficiency whilst maintaining quality and service standards – delivered through proactively gathering knowledge of best practice and new initiatives via knowledge of the external market and networking with other Institutions.
- Represent the University and library at a wide range of internal and external meetings, providing specialist input and networking with colleagues both inside and outside of the Institution.
- Contribute to the planning and resolution of disaster recovery and business continuity for university systems within own area of activity.
- To undertake a programme of continuing professional development improving specialist/technical/professional capability and expertise through work experience and/or continued training and coaching.
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and role of the post holder.
This job description may be subject to revision following discussion with the person appointed and forms part of the contract of employment.
How to Apply
Please send job application with the following documents before the closing date:
1. UNNC Application Form (please download from here);
2. Cover Letter;
Please kindly note that all documents should be completed in English and in Word/ PDF format.
Late or incomplete application will not be considered to be shortlisted.
Please send application and enquiries to email@example.com