Library Support Assistant
2 days left
- Full Time
The Library Assistant functions as a member of the Access and Fulfillment Services Department production unit (Circulation, Collection Maintenance, Document Delivery, and Interlibrary Loan) under the direction of a Unit Supervisor, providing system-wide information services to the Caltech Library System and its user community.
This is a benefit based, temporary full-time position working 40 hours per week: 10:30pm to 7am, with a 30 min meal period. The position is for the academic year and ends in June 2017 and begins again in September 2017.
The mission of the Caltech Library is to provide library resources and forward-looking information services of the highest quality in a timely, cost-effective manner to support and facilitate the research and educational programs of the Institute.
In support of this mission the incumbent performs the following Access and Fulfillment Services Department activities:
A. Assist in the provision of customer services in accordance with Caltech Library policies and procedures;
B. Maintain Caltech Library collections and designated equipment;
C. Perform other Access and Fulfillment Services Department-related responsibilities as assigned.
1. Assist in the provision of customer services in accordance with Caltech Library policies and procedures.
2. Answer customer questions and direct library users to the location of appropriate resources or services throughout both the Library and the Caltech campus.
3. Charge and discharge library materials on CLAS (Caltech Library’s Automated System).
4. Provide customer assistance and instruction for using CLAS, ILLiad, and other CLS online services, making referrals for extensive training as appropriate.
5. Maintain accessibility of library collections by the prompt and accurate reshelving of materials used.
6. Perform other Access and Fulfillment Services Department-related responsibilities as assigned.
7. Prepare and maintain materials for course reserves.
8. Register new library users, maintain patron records by adding or deleting data. Distribute library notices to patrons and follow up with further correspondence when appropriate.
9. Shelve library materials by the Library of Congress classification system or other arrangement per prescribed library procedure.
•Excellent understanding of office procedures and customer service.
•In depth knowledge of office and library equipment: copiers, printers, microform equipment. PC & Mac knowledge, web resources and electronic file formats.
•Good oral written communication in standard English.
•Good knowledge of library catalogs (Innovative library automation system). Basic understanding of Web of Science, library classification (Lib of Congress), MARC records, and copyright policies and procedures.
•Ability to work overnight shift, hours are 10:30pm to 7am.
• Two years post-secondary education and two years relevant work experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous library experience and knowledge of an automated library system preferred.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/23/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.