Dean - Economic and Management Sciences
- Full Time
Economic and Management Sciences
Stellenbosch University (SU) is inclusive, innovative, and future focused; a place of discovery and excellence where both staff and students are thought leaders in advancing knowledge in the service of all stakeholders.
SU’s strategic positioning for the 21st century, as articulated in the Institutional Intent and Strategy (see: http://www.sun.ac.za/english/about-us/strategic-documents), is anchored in creating, promoting and sustaining an environment of inclusion, transformation, innovation, diversity, and maintaining excellence with a focus on the future.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences is a leading academic environment which requires dynamic, innovative and creative leadership in its learning and teaching programmes, research and social impact.
The Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences is the largest faculty in the University and hosts five departments, the School for Accountancy, the School for Public Leadership and the University of Stellenbosch Business School, as well as a number of institutes, bureaus and centres.
More information on the Faculty is available at www.sun.ac.za/ems
- Responsible for the strategic management as well as leadership and guidance of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences in the areas of teaching and learning, research and social impact;
- External liaison, as well as the establishment and maintenance of multilevel partnerships with other academic institutions (nationally and internationally), the economic and management profession, business sector, authorities, professional bodies, alumni and other national and international role players in support of the strategic objectives of the Faculty;
- Align the Faculty with the University’s Institutional Intent and Strategy;
- Responsible for the sustainable financial management of the Faculty and the management of resources, including facilities;
- Shared responsibility for the management of the University;
- Take initiative for and have commitment towards marketing, student recruitment and fundraising initiatives within the Faculty;
- Promote the wellness of students and staff;
- Promote diversity and transformation within the Faculty.
For a full job description, contact the Human Resources Division at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Appointable as professor in one of the departments or schools of the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences (criteria available at: http://www0.sun.ac.za/hr/docs/appointments/AP0045-Guidelines-For-Appointment-And-Promotion-Of-Lecturers.pdf);
- Proven capacity to provide dynamic and strategic leadership in the areas of responsibility;
- Proven ability to promote excellence in academic quality and research significance;
- Management ability at faculty and institutional level;
- Sound knowledge, insight and vision with regard to the tertiary education sector in general, and more specifically Economic and Management Sciences;
- Sound interpersonal and liaison skills;
- Sound communication skills;
- Ability to promote diversity and transformation.
- The ability to function effectively in a multilingual and multicultural environment;
- Experience at tertiary education level;
- Exposure to professional bodies and the private sector.
Term of appointment: Five years with the possibility of re-appointment for another term
Commencement of duties: 1 July 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 24 March 2017
Enquiries: Mr Victor Mothobi, Senior Director: Human Resources, on 021 808 4043 or at email@example.com
Complete applications, comprising the documentation as set out below, must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applications should include: A concise statement in which candidates outline their vision of the University’s and the Faculty’s future, as well as their contribution to such a future • a comprehensive curriculum vitae • information regarding present occupation, remuneration package and citizenship • names and contact details of three referees • an indication of the earliest date for commencement of duties • certified copies of certificates.
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of staff, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
Apply for Dean - Economic and Management Sciences
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly