This is a regular full-time position, benefited, and located at Palomar Observatory, under the supervision of the observatory superintendent.
Position will work alone or with other members of the observatory crew to setup, test and when necessary, troubleshoot and repair electronic systems and if needed, to the component level.
This position is located at Palomar Observatory in North San Diego County, Ca.
The Electronics Technician is expected to demonstrate the ability to:
• Install and set up and test instruments on telescopes.
• Perform cryogenic maintenance such as cryogen transfer and vacuum insulation maintenance using turbo pumps.
• Fabricate and repair both copper based and fiber optic cables.
• Trouble shooting of electronic systems.
• Trouble shoot computer and network instillations.
• Participate in Telescope Instrument Integration.
• Basic system testing.
• Working knowledge of analog, digital electronics, and electrical systems.
• Must have a valid driver’s license at the time of employment and be able to maintain it throughout the course of employment.
• Demonstrated ability to use electronic test instrumentation such as oscilloscopes, DVM, and logic analyzers.
• Skilled in electronic construction techniques including cables, layout, wiring, and replacing components.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Reading and comprehension of electrical schematic diagrams.
• Basic computer skills including hardware maintenance.
• Skilled in the safe and efficient use of hand and power tools such as drill press, saws and hole punches.
• Skilled in the use of vacuum systems and safe cryogenic procedures.
• Copper, fiber, and wireless network setup and maintenance experience.
• Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license throughout the course of employment.
• Must be able to work at site elevation of 6000’ and safely work in confined spaces.
• Computer literate and to use schematic capture software.
• Observatory electronics experience.
• Experience with scientific electronic systems.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/27/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.