The Athenaeum at Caltech is a very exciting and beautiful place to work, with its private club/country club environment and its upscale Hotel. The Athenaeum Cook is a regular full-time position that includes excellent medical benefits, holiday pay, vacation pay, excellent retirement benefits and much more.
For more information on The Athenaeum, please visit The Athenaeum’s website https://www.athenaeumcaltech.com/
For Caltech information, please visit Caltech at a Glance: http://www.caltech.edu/content/caltech-glance
Under general supervision on semi-routine assignments where a fair amount of judgment is required in identifying and resolving moderately complex problems, prepares and cooks standard or specialty food items. Performs set-up and sanitation of cooking areas, assists in menu development, and conducts inventories and stocking of supplies and ingredients. Performs work in accordance with Institute and regulatory agencies safety standards and practices.
There are currently 2 open Cook positions available.
1. Performs full array of cooking skills as required for main dishes and side orders.
2. Prepares and cooks meats, fish, vegetables, gravies, sauces, cereal, soups, fruits, bakery products and other foods according to recipes or member orders. Cooks from scratch or makes substitutions as requested.
3. Corrects recipes by making substitutions as needed; may create recipes.
4. Cleans and sanitizes work areas and equipment according to protocol; deep-cleans equipment and work areas per schedule. Insures ServSafe compliance in assigned work area and/or kitchen.
5. Prepares list of items needed for next day according to menu offerings; may participate in menu planning.
6. Ensures culinary staff and cooking stations are ready for meal times and/or special events in a timely manner.
7. Ensures equipment is functioning properly.
8. May provide leadership to other staff to ensure that all food is prepared according to recipes and menu.
9. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
Must have a culinary certificate and a minimum of two years of experience or three years of relevant experience.
Must be able to follow and maintain maximum standards of ServSafe sanitation and safety to ensure the highest standards for food and beverage service.
Must have a California Food Handlers Card or the ability to obtain one within 30 days.
The selected candidate must have the ability to carry a minimum of 50 pounds of cooking utensils, cooking pots, cooking supplies and cooking ingredients repetitively throughout the day and be able to stand while working up to 8 hours per day.
Must have the ability to perform basic mathematics: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage conversion to decimals and count, as related to calculating or converting units of measure for determining proper amounts of food ingredients for large food production.
Experience in high-end dining facility preferred.
A valid California Food Handlers is a plus.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 02/27/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.