Manager of Alumni Center Guest Relations and Event Services
Description of Work Unit
Colorado State University (CSU) is a University on the rise. CSU has a commitment to excellence, its land grant heritage, and its position as a Carnegie Research University. The Division of University Advancement is an appreciated campus partner in achieving institutional excellence by employing an entrepreneurial approach to its fundraising efforts. As the campus engages in a comprehensive campaign, the CSU Alumni Association is a partner in this significant endeavor. The Division of University Advancement is committed to the growth of its people and accomplishing the mission of Colorado State University. University Advancement has one of the leading development teams in the country. CSU’s standing among universities is increasingly recognized in numerous national rankings and for many years CSU has been the school of choice for Colorado students, with a long-standing legacy of attracting the best and brightest nationally and internationally.
We are seeking a successful and energetic individual who has a proven track record with a collaborative approach and our vision to build one of the nation’s premier alumni relations teams. The CSU Alumni Association facilitates meaningful relationships between its 215,000+ alumni and the University. Using a combination of proven alumni engagement strategies and new, innovative approaches; the Alumni Association strives to celebrate the success of our alumni, build an emotional connection back to the institution, and help alumni to identify meaningful volunteer opportunities. In addition, the Association is excited to embark upon the construction of a new Alumni Center to serve as a place of pride and home to more than 215,000 alumni when they return to campus. This 20,000 square foot facility is slated to open in summer 2017. The ideal candidate will be a consummate professional and will thrive in a fast-paced campaign and metrics/results-driven environment. The candidate will have a strong work ethic and a successful track record of building and growing programs and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, alumni, faculty, and community partners.
The Manager of Alumni Center Guest Relations and Event Services is responsible for ensuring positive guest experiences for alumni, members, donors, students, and friends who utilize the Iris and Michael Smith Alumni Center and take advantage of its services, including alumni center/stadium tours, interactive displays, storytelling features, and rental of meeting and event space. He/she will build positive relationships with internal and external partners and create and manage meaningful opportunities for alumni that strengthen their relationship with CSU. This position will execute a comprehensive guest relations strategy and solicit/schedule events in the Smith Alumni Center.
This position requires the ability to lift 25 pounds and a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation or access to a driver. This individual will interact and build relationships with alumni, donors, volunteers, business partners, and Division and University colleagues. This position is based out of the Alumni Association office on the CSU Campus in Fort Collins, Colorado. A $3,000 moving allowance may be negotiated at the time of hire. This position requires working non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends. This is a 12-month, full time appointment and reports to the Senior Director of Alumni Operations.
Required Job Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in business, organizational management, communications, hospitality, or related field
• Two years full-time professional experience in project/office management and/or event management role
• Experience in a customer service, guest relations, or donor relations role
• Experience supervising and scheduling staff and/or volunteers
• Ability to lift 25 pounds
• Ability to work non-standard hours, including early mornings, evenings, and weekends with a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation or access to a driver
Preferred Job Qualifications
• Experience in facility scheduling and/or management
• Experience coordinating events
• Proficiency with technology, audio-visual equipment, etc.
• Experience supervising student staff
• Experience speaking to small groups and/or tours
• Excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and quality in work produced
• Experience working with budgets and financial processes
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and an ability to manage demanding work situations
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team and to thrive in a creative, fast-paced environment
• Experience in alumni relations, non-profit associations, or higher education
• Knowledge of Colorado State University and its Alumni Association
• Distinctive record of accomplishment incorporating diverse perspectives in one or more duties outlined in the job description.
•Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category Alumni Center Guest Relations, Alumni/Donor Engagement Duty/Responsibility
• Direct, manage, and continually improve the Alumni Center guest experience. Includes oversight of visitor desk, hiring/training guest relations team, ensuring all information disseminated is correct and up-to-date, and providing excellent customer service.
• Well-versed in telling the story of CSU, the Alumni Association, and of all alumni and friends featured in the Smith Alumni Center.
• Oversee public tours of the Alumni Center/Stadium, including selection, training, and scheduling volunteer tour guides and staff; scripting tours; reservation management; coordinating with stadium operations; and leading tours as needed. This will require some early mornings, nights, and weekends.
• Ensure all Smith Alumni Center displays and technology are fully operational, this includes troubleshooting technology, collaborating with the Communications team regarding updates, and recommending improvements to meet Association goals and objectives.
• Actively participate in growing membership, license plate sales, sponsorship, and revenue partnerships. All Alumni Association employees share a responsibility to meet and surpass Association revenue goals to support our $2.3 million budget.
Percentage Of Time 45% Job Duty Category Alumni Center Sales, Event Services Duty/Responsibility
• Develop and execute a comprehensive plan to ensure that the Smith Alumni Center is being utilized to its maximum potential while supporting the goals and meeting the metrics for the Alumni Association.
• Manage Smith Alumni Center meeting/event space by facilitating sales, negotiating and approving space reservations, confirming event details, coordinating room set-up and strike needs, communicating event details to appropriate staff/partners, post-event follow-up, and invoicing.
• Create and maintain a reference guide for clients including diagrams of event spaces, facility use guidelines, costs, food/beverage options, video/equipment needs, approved vendors, etc.
• Collaborate with campus and external service providers involved in execution of events.
• Supervise event set-up and technology staff; includes directing overall event set-up to ensure that events are executed per client’s request.
• Prepare and present monthly sales/usage reports.
• Serve as a visionary for long and short-term objectives related to space and facility needs, coordinate space, furniture, and equipment maintenance; and recommend staffing, etc.
Percentage Of Time 30% Job Duty Category Supervision and volunteer management Duty/Responsibility
• Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate student staff and volunteers.
• Coordinate work schedules and conduct on-going training.
• Oversee staff involved in event set-up/strike and event technology support.
• Develop and implement a training program for alumni center/stadium tours and train professional staff, students, and volunteers.
Percentage Of Time 15% Job Duty Category Administrative, Campus Involvement Duty/Responsibility
• Manage guest relations and event services budgets and comply with university financial policies. Recommend opportunities to maximize expenditures, increase revenue, and propose how funds are directed.
• Serve as Alumni Association representative and liaison to university committees.
• Exercise initiative, sound judgment, creativity and discretion in performing work assigned, anticipating and addressing concerns, responding to requests for information, and organizing and maintaining confidential files and records.
• Contribute to the total effectiveness of the department, communicating openly, solving problems proactively, offering creative ideas and working as a positive, engaged team member.
Percentage Of Time 10%
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please demonstrate in your cover letter and resume any and all of the preferred qualifications that you meet.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Search Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.