Academic English Instructor
Academic English Instructor Position
Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education
Due to expansion, Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education (NUGSE) is recruiting Academic English Instructors. Positions are available from February 17, 2017.
NUGSE began providing its first Master’s level programs in September 2013, supported by its strategic partners, the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education and the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education. NUGSE currently offers an MSc in Educational Leadership, an MA in Multilingual Education, and a PhD program. The MSc in Educational Leadership offers specializations in School Education, Inclusive Education and Higher Education.
During its first three years, NUGSE has developed an innovative, embedded approach to Academic English for our postgraduate research students in two dimensions: scheduled for-credit Academic English courses working in direct support of student program learning; and our Shanyrak Writing Center, providing both online and in-person support for academic writing.
Qualified educators interested in working with highly motivated and accomplished students in an innovative, collaborative, research-oriented environment are strongly encouraged to apply. Experience working with postgraduate research students and working in Online/Blended Learning contexts is definitely an advantage.
Responsibilities of the Academic English Instructor position include:
- design and teach Academic English courses appropriate for postgraduate research students;
- teach in Electronic Learning Environments and conventional face-to-face contexts;
- provide consultations, tutoring and other writing support activities (Shanyrak Writing Center);
- collaborate with other NUGSE faculty to align work with students’ course and program learning needs;
- plan and implement NUGSE professional development activities;
- participate in committees/general meetings at School and University levels;
- contribute to the wider Kazakhstani education community through scholarly/professional activities (e.g., publications/conferences/workshops/seminars).
- Masters or PhD degree in TESOL (or related field);
- Relevant experience working with university students;
- Relevant experience working with ESOL students;
- Relevant experience in the field of Academic English/Academic Literacies;
- Capacity for working in an online context.
- Relevant experience working with postgraduate research students;
- Relevant experience working in synchronous (e.g., Skype for Business, Adobe Connect, Elluminate) and asynchronous (e.g., Moodle) online learning environments.
Conditions of Employment:
The appointment is a 3-years renewable contract subject to annual performance reviews. An attractive remuneration package for international faculty members includes:
- internationally competitive salary;
- annual holiday leave of 56 calendar days;
- two flights for the appointee and dependents to home country per year;
- international health insurance;
- rent-free apartment for the appointee and dependents; and
- relocation allowance including air fares for the appointee and dependents.
Review of applications begins on 17 February 2017 and continues until positions are filled. Skype interviews for shortlisted applicants will be scheduled during March/April. To apply, please send a cover letter and CV, together with the names and contact details of two referees, to the Hiring Committee (email@example.com). Informal enquiries about specific posts can be addressed to Jason Sparks, Vice-Dean NUGSE (firstname.lastname@example.org).