CNC-Machining Mechanical Engineer
CNC-Machining Mechanical Engineer in the Engineering Department (EN), Mechanical and Materials Engineering Group (MME), Machining & Maintenance section (MA).
You will join:
The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
The Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME) that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, fabrication facilities and material science support.
The Machining & Maintenance section (MA) masters a wide range of machining technologies, with a tradition of knowledge and processes developed for particle accelerator applications and dedicated in-house fabrication facilities.
As a CNC-Machining Mechanical Engineer in the MA Section, you will:
Join a team of highly qualified technicians and engineers in CNC machining;
Personally perform CNC machining operations in a highly technical content on state-of-the-art machining equipment;
Develop machining and manufacturing methods for the fabrication of high-precision prototypes and components for accelerators and experimental facilities;
Troubleshoot CNC mills, CNC lathes, manual machines and other equipment issues and implement corrective actions;
Produce and modify CAM/CNC programs to achieve quality, efficient cycle times, minimize scrap, and operator usability;
Identify and justify investments in new tooling, fixtures, or equipment and implement into the fabrication process;
Contribute to the whole production process of product design, materials selection, assembly methods, programming and tooling on CNC machining centres;
Support manufacturing and component repair operations such as machining, EDM, shaping, welding, heat treatments, vacuum brazing, surface finishing, NDT, etc;
Prepare production schedules and estimate costs, maintain and develop facilities, use and improve technical documentation;
Participate in multidisciplinary projects, maintain close co-operation with the other mechanical engineering facilities CERN wide, be the Technical Responsible person for projects;
Establish a network and maintain contacts with specialised laboratories / firms worldwide;
Prepare technical reports and presentations.
Master's degree in the field of mechanical engineering with specific emphasis on machining, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Extensive experience as a Mechanical Engineer in a manufacturing machining engineering environment;
- A deep scientific understanding of, as well as hands-on practical experience in, machining (CNC milling/turning, EDM);
- Demonstrated experience in the fabrication of parts for cryogenics, radiofrequency, magnets or similar components.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of numerical control and conventional machine tools; personal use of CNC and conventional machine tools; direct knowledge and experience working with various manufacturing techniques;
- Use of numerical control and conventional machine tools; production and modification of CNC programs in any commercial CAM software package, such as Delcam, WorkNC, Mastercam, Nx, etc;
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing, and control; direct experience in definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing and control;
- Precision assembly and construction; tools/fixtures design and selection experience for high precision machining;
- Knowledge of metallic materials properties; familiarity with materials such as titanium, aluminium, copper alloys, niobium and stainless steels.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in the interest of the Organization: behaving consistently with CERN's values and goals; demonstrating motivation for own work, being enthusiastic, involved and energetic in pursuing tasks;
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems;
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind;
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented;
- Learning and sharing knowledge: keeping up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbing new information; sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; creating or participating in forums to exchange experience, comparing techniques and learn from others.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French. Ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence;
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization;
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization;
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.