4 days left
- Full Time
- CAASTRO-3D Research position to work alongside ICRAR and CSIRO astrophysicists to tackle the software and compute challenges posed by the vast amounts of data produced by ASKAP and other facilities.
- Unique opportunity to take part in two of Australia's largest astronomy centres (CAASTRO-3D and ICRAR), engage in frontline international science using world-class observing and computing facilities, and work with leading software engineers and researchers.
- 3 year appointment
- Salary range: Level 8 $94,637 - $103,646 p.a.
- Plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) is a joint venture between Curtin University and The University of Western Australia (UWA), together employing 162 staff and research students, 93 of whom are at the UWA node. The Australian Research Council (ARC) Centre of Excellence for All Sky Astrophysics in 3-Dimensions (CAASTRO-3D) spans an additional four Australian universities (ANU, Melbourne, Sydney and Swinburne), three national infrastructure facilities, and seven international partner institutions.
Headed by Professor Lisa Kewley at the Australian National University, CAASTRO-3D is offering six (6) prestigious Postdoctoral Fellowships, including one at ICRAR/UWA to outstanding recent postdoctoral scientists to conduct independent, world-leading observational or theoretical research focused on the main Centre scientific programs (The Epoch of Reionization, First Stars, First Galaxies, Galaxy Formation and Evolution, ASKAP, SAMI, GALAH and Data Intensive Science)
The vibrant and diverse Australian astronomical research community has access to a broad array of facilities, including the Magellan, Gemini and Keck telescopes, and is engaged in the Giant Magellan Telescope and Square Kilometre Array projects.
About the opportunity
The appointee will work together with the Data Intensive Astronomy (DIA) team and the CAASTRO-3D science teams on the implementation of optimised software to advance the ability of the science teams to analyse and combine the significant data streams coming from the various facilities. The science teams can be seen as the customers, while the DIA team will provide expertise and dedicated software development resources where required.
The selected candidate may spend time visiting another CAASTRO-3D host institution or partner institution if relevant to this position (e.g. the ASKAPsoft team at CSIRO).
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Degree in software engineering or computer science, or a proven record of participating in large-scale software development projects in leading roles.
- Ability to architect, design and develop high quality software in multiple languages, including C/C++, Python, Java and/or others.
- Experience in data intensive software applications, both in data management and data processing.
- Experience with High Performance Computing and Cloud computing.
- Good record of participation in complex software projects.
- The ability to work effectively in distributed scientific or commercial collaborations
- Experience with astronomical or other scientific data reduction packages would be an asset.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Benefits: University offers 17% Superannuation benefits and support for relocation to Perth if required.
Closing date: Friday 31 March 2017
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Please see the position description prior to applying: 316177.pdf
- ICRAR supports equity, diversity and flexible work arrangements and actively encourage applications from female candidates.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.
Advertised: 20 Feb 2017 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close: 31 Mar 2017 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time