Electronics and Networking Engineer
Electronics and Networking Engineer in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT).
In the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT) you will participate in the design of controls and data acquisition hardware within a team of electronics designers.
The Controls Group is responsible for providing and supporting the controls infrastructure used to operate the CERN accelerators 24/7.
The Hardware and Timing Section is in charge of providing hardware support and maintaining a standard set of modules that can be used to build control systems. This support includes the development and procurement of the hardware and the associated device drivers.
The Hardware and Timing section specializes in the development of synchronization solutions, among which White Rabbit plays a prominent role. (http://www.ohwr.org/projects/white-rabbit/wiki/)
You will join:
The Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam production, beam and accelerator physics, beam diagnostics, radiofrequency, controls and performance optimization for the entire CERN accelerator complex including the LHC.
The Controls Group (CO), responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas.
The Hardware and Timing Section (HT), responsible for the development, production and support of most of the BE-CO custom electronic¿ modules. It also provides know-how for the technical choice of commercial modules to suit the needs of equipment groups in the Accelerator Sector.
As Electronics and Networking Engineer you will:
- Take responsibility for the design, evolution and support of important subcomponents of the core White Rabbit (WR) infrastructure and of applications of WR in the domain of distributed controls and data acquisition systems.
- Take a leading role in the development and deployment of solutions to increase the robustness and reliability of WR technology.
- Collaborate with controls and data acquisition teams around CERN and support them for the integration of standard WR components into complete systems.
- Represent CERN in the High Accuracy subcommittee of the IEEE P1588 Working Group, and contribute to the standardization of WR-related techniques within the IEEE 1588 standard.
- Participate in the operational support of all the deployed solutions in the domain of distributed controls and data acquisition hardware.
- Document and present your work as appropriate.
Master's degree in the field of Electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in programmable logic design using Hardware Description Languages, VHDL in particular.
- Proven experience with Ethernet networking technologies and the IEEE 1588 (Precise Time Protocol) standard.
- Experience in techniques for increasing reliability and robustness of hardware and software would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Design of electronics based on field programmable logic-based devices (FPGA): knowledge of the xilinx design tools would be an advantage.
- Design of electronics for clock/timing generation, processing, distribution and recovery.
- Programming/Software development: knowledge of software development in c, python and/or embedded linux and device driver development would be an asset.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others and letting others speak; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts. Abilty to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
This position requires:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.