Administrative Assistant in the Beams Department (BE), Administration, Safety and Resources group (ASR), Administration & Secretariats Section (AS).
As Administrative Assistant in the Administration and Secretariats Section (AS) you will contribute to the general administration of a large Department (BE) comprising over 860 members of personnel.
You will benefit from:
- An opportunity to make a strong contribution to the smooth operation of the administration of the Department, to broaden your knowledge into new areas and to discover an Organisation where excellence is the key driving factor.
- Specific training and support for professional development to enlarge your skills and develop your talents.
You will also provide administrative support to one of the Groups in the Department, his Leader, Group members and visitors. You will work in close collaboration with the administrative secretariat of the Department and be called upon to replace the other administrative assistants during periods of leave or in the event of heavy workloads. Your role will include a wide range of administrative duties.
As Administrative Assistant, you will:
- Provide front-office service for all categories of personnel upon arrival, departure and throughout their appointment.
- Prepare, organise and attend meetings for which you will take minutes of the proceedings.
- Process the reimbursement of education fees and other expenses.
- Arrange official travel and calculate reimbursements according to the CERN rules in force.
- Provide administrative support for the Organization and follow-up of conferences and further events.
- Format and/or type documents, ensuring the accuracy and timely publication using the relevant computer tools.
- Keep up-to-date with and apply a variety of CERN rules and procedures.
- Deal with confidential career-related records.
- Ensure fluid circulation of information as required within and outside the Group.
- Maintain physical and electronic documents, web pages, shared files and records to provide up-to-date information.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of General Administration, or equivalent and professional training in the field of secretarial and administrative methods, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in a fast paced environment which requires to work effectively and calmly under pressure of deadlines, interruptions and changing priorities is essential.
- Proven experience in successfully working both independently and as a contributing member of a team, with willingness to provide support wherever needed in a service environment.
- Experience in a variety of administrative and support tasks for a large unit, preferably in a front-line and international environment.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Use of Office software packages.
- Customer service.
- Secretarial service.
- Text editing and proof-reading.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating Effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Working in Teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; seeking to help other team members when own work is done; supporting others.
- Managing Self: remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems; handling uncertainty and ambiguity calmly and effectively; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving Problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Demonstrating Flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; actively participating in the implementation of new processes and technologies.
The language competencies required are:
- English and French: spoken and written, with the ability to understand and speak fluently in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 23.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.