PhD Research Fellow in Medical Physics
A PhD research fellowship is available at the Department of Physics. The appointment has a duration of 4 years, including 1 year (25%) teaching duties.
Information about the department
The position is organized in the Department of Physics. Currently, there are 22 professors, 12 associate professors, 4 adjunct professors, 72 PhD research fellows and 15 postdoctoral positions appointed at the Department of Physics. Our research spans a broad spectrum of natural sciences and technology, which in turn allows us to offer an education providing a solid basis for future careers. Physics research is carried out in experimental as well as theoretical fields, often across conventional boundaries between disciplines. Research staff at the institute makes a special effort to increase the awareness and understanding of the importance and impact of physics in our society. Further information about the Department can be found at https://www.ntnu.edu/physics
The PhD research fellow will work in the interdisciplinary field of medical imaging and radiotherapy of cancer. The candidate will join a research programme aiming to develop methods for extracting information on tumor radiosensitivity from medical images (primarily functional magnetic resonance images (MRI)), in order to predict and evaluate treatment response and for using such information in image-guided adaptive radiotherapy strategies. The ideal PhD candidate has excellent skills in imaging physics, medical image analysis and/or radiotherapy/radiobiology. The project will include data analysis and simulations in Matlab or equivalent tools.
The PhD candidate will become an important member in a new research group in medical imaging and radiotherapy of cancer, and the candidate’s personal and communicative skills will therefore be emphasized. The workplace is at Department of Physics, NTNU, but the project will involve collaborations with scientists and medical personnel at St. Olavs Hospital as well as with established national and international partners.
The candidate will work in an active and expanding multidisciplinary research environment with high scientific standards. We are offering training and continuous supervision and opportunities for participation at national and international courses and congresses.
Detailed information on our PhD programs can be found at: http://www.ntnu.edu/nv/phd
The required qualifications are:
- A university degree (Master of Science or equivalent) in physics, primarily with specialization in medical physics, radiation physics or biophysics. Candidates expecting to complete the Master degree before July 1, 2017 may also apply.
- Excellent personal and communicative skills; the project will require ability to both work independently and to interact with other PhD candidates, experienced scientists, medical physicists as well as doctors from different specialties (e.g., oncologists, surgeons, radiologists)
- Strong motivation, scientific creativity and enthusiasm for research, high working- and implementation capacity
- Fluent English language, both written and spoken
In addition, one or several of the following qualifications / skills are desired and may be weighted in the evaluation process:
- Previous relevant research experience
- Experience with work as medical physicist, either with radiotherapy or medical imaging (CT/MR/PET)
- Fluent Scandinavian language (due to interaction with students and various personnel at the hospital)
- Strong skills in programming, medical image analysis and/or image-guided radiotherapy simulations in Matlab or similar software
- Strong skills/experience in machine learning and/or statistical prediction modelling
The regulations for PhD programs at NTNU state that the applicant must have a master's degree or equivalent with at least 5 years of studies and an average grade of A or B within a scale of A-E for passing grades (A best). Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree:
The position requires spoken and written fluency in the English language. Such evidence might be represented by the results of standard tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). The candidate's language skills might also be assessed in a personal interview.
Terms of employment
The appointment of the PhD fellows will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees. Applicants must agree to participate in organized doctoral study programs within the period of the appointment and have to be qualified for the PhD-study.
NTNU’s personnel policy objective is that the staff must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent.
The position as PhD is remunerated according to the Norwegian State salary scale. There is a 2% deduction for superannuation contribution.
It is expected that the candidate can start in the position within August 2017 (but preferably not later).
Further information can be obtained from Associate Professor Kathrine Røe Redalen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Department of Physics, NTNU.
The application should contain:
- Reference letters
- Certificates from Bachelor and Master degrees
- List of publications or other scientific work, if any
- Statement on research interest (maximum one page)
- Documentation of English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) if English or a Scandinavian language is not the applicant's mother tongue
Applications must be submitted electronically through this site.
Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
The reference number of the position is: NV-26/17
Application deadline: March 25, 2017.
About this job
- Deadline 3/25/2017
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 134601
- Internal ID NV-26/17
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!