Knowledge Transfer Officer
Knowledge Transfer Officer in the Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer Department (IPT), Knowledge Transfer Group (KT), Intellectual Property Dissemination Section (IP).
You will join:
- The Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer (IPT) Department that provides essential support and advice on procurement, knowledge transfer and EU projects.
- The Knowledge Transfer (KT) Group (kt.cern), which is in charge of identifying and realizing opportunities for CERN's know-how to be applied in fields other than particle physics, in order to maximize the impact of CERN technologies and expertise on society (in particular industry).
- The IP Dissemination Section, that is in charge of scouting for new transferable technologies within CERN, assessing and managing the Intellectual Property (IP) to foster the dissemination of those technologies, and to conclude partnerships with industry and other institutes around these technologies.
As Knowledge Transfer Officer in the Intellectual Property Dissemination Section, you will:
- Identify transferable technologies and knowledge within the organisation by evaluating transfer potential and market value for CERN technologies and know-how.
- Take responsibility for the dissemination of a number of CERN technologies by:
- Proposing the most appropriate dissemination strategy, including financial valuation;
- Promoting the technology to external partners;
- Providing support for setting up R&D projects, including costing and Intellectual Property management.
- Support the set-up of new CERN start-ups.
In order to do this you will:
- Structure and negotiate IP contracts (licences, collaborative R&D, etc.).
- Develop contacts with R&D decision-makers at industrial partners.
- Manage technical and contractual relationships.
- Support promotional events and interdisciplinary workshops.
Master's degree in the field of engineering or physics related to particle accelerators or detectors, or equivalent, complemented by higher education in business (e.g. MBA) or equivalent relevant experience in industry.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in managing innovation in industry, involving technology partnerships, such as technology licensing, collaborative R&D and/or open innovation.
- Experience in the management of Intellectual Property in the framework of licensing activities and collaborative R&D.
- Experience in engagement of industrial partners, technology commercialisation and contract negotiation.
- Previous exposure to intellectual property and patents would be considered an asset.
- Experience in business development, start-up companies or project management would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge or detectors or accelerator technologies would be considered an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Technology transfer.
- Managing relations and partnerships with non profit as well as corporate entities.
- Setting up of international collaborations.
- Knowledge and technology promotion, marketing and commercialization.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving Results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Managing Self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Communicating Effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and Sharing Knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Bringing the Best out of People: being approachable and available to team members; promoting team interests.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/ or official communications and to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.03.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.