Associate Professor in Higher Education
Associate Professor in Higher Education
Graduate School of Education, Nazarbayev University, Kazakhstan
Nazarbayev University Graduate School of Education (NUGSE) invites applicants to join our international faculty and to share our vision of becoming a world-class center for teaching and research on education. Due to expansion, NUGSE is recruiting faculty members in Higher Education. Appointment is being made at Associate Professor level.
NUGSE began providing its first Master’s and Ph.D. programs in September 2013, supported by its strategic partners, the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education and the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education. Still expanding, NUGSE currently offers an M.Sc. in Educational Leadership, an M.A. in Multilingual Education, and a Ph.D. in Education, a M.Sc. in Educational Leadership offers specializations in School Education, Inclusive Education and Higher Education.
NUGSE plays a key role in driving education reform in Kazakhstan, and faculty members who are keen to make a difference through work with schools, other universities and the Ministry of Education and Science are especially welcome. The School also houses a Research Institute and a Projects and Professional Development Center, and plays a major role nationally in conducting educational research and advising on policy.
Responsibilities of faculty positions include:
- designing and teaching courses in the area of specialization, and contributing to general courses such as Research Methods;
- supervising M.Sc., M.A. and Ph.D. student dissertations;
- maintaining an international research profile;
- contributing to the management of the NUGSE through committee service;
- contributing to the wider agenda of education reform in Kazakhstan.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in education or closely- related field;
- International research profile: publications in international peer reviewed journals on education-relevant topics; success in attracting competitive funding; awards and prizes from relevant professional/academic associations;
- relevant academic teaching and research experience;
- experience of supervising postgraduate dissertations to completion (for Full and Associate Professor appointments);
- ability to teach and supervise students confidently in English;
- willingness to contribute to education reform in Kazakhstan, through participation in joint research projects and/or professional development programs;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Information on Nazarbayev University
Nazarbayev University (NU) - located in Astana, Kazakhstan - is a new Western-style, English-medium institution, created with the support of
other leading university partners around the world. NU’s international partners include top leading universities in the world, including Cambridge University, University of Pennsylvania, University of Wisconsin-Madison, University College London and National University of Singapore. The University follows the rigorous admission standards laid out by its international partners and accepts only the best students from Kazakhstan and other countries. For more information please visit our official website: nu.edu.kz
Conditions of Employment:
Initial appointment is on 3-year renewable contracts and will be subject to annual performance reviews. An attractive remuneration package will include:
- Internationally competitive salary;
- Holiday leave of 56 days per annum;
- Two flights for the appointee and dependents home per annum;
- International health insurance;
- Rent-free housing for the appointee and dependents;
- Assistance for relocation expenses including air fares for the appointee and dependents.
Review of applications begins in January 2017 and continues until positions are filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Interested candidates are encouraged to find out more about NUGSE at gse.nu.edu.kz and our Facebook page @nugse2014. Skype interviews for shortlisted applicants will be scheduled during March/April, 2017. To apply, please send a cover letter and detailed CV, together with the names and contact details of two referees, to the Hiring Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Informal enquiries about specific posts can be addressed to Jason Sparks (Vice-Dean NUGSE) at email@example.com