Technician (Electromechanical/Mechanical) in the Technology Department (TE), Accelerator Beam Transfer Group (ABT), Septa Section (SE).
The Accelerator Beam Transfer group (ABT) is in charge of the design, development, construction, installation, exploitation and maintenance of injection and extraction related equipment. Within the ABT group, the Septa Section is responsible for the magnetic and electrostatic septa as well as extraction protection devices in all CERN accelerators. These septa can be under vacuum as well as outside vacuum high current magnets, DC or pulsed, as well as electric field septa and high voltage deflectors. To protect these elements from accidental beam impact, the extraction systems, in particular the septa, beam diluters are installed upstream of the beam extraction equipment.
As a member of a small and multidisciplinary team, you will:
- Prepare and participate in the construction of electrostatic high voltage septa and diluters in operation and for the upgrade of the LHC injector chain (Proton Synchrotron Booster PSB, Proton Synchrotron PS and Super Proton Synchrotron SPS).
- Define and deploy specific component and sub-assembly treatments for the electrostatic septa and diluters.
- Placing orders with external contractors.
- Contribute to technical specifications for the control of mechnical components.
- Coordinate logistics and write assembly and test procedures.
- Carry out maintenance work on operational septa and their protection elements across the accelerator complex, including the refurbishment and repair of existing equipment.
- Participate in the installation of new equipment in tunnels and in the commissioning of the completed systems in collaboration with various CERN services.
Technical certificate or Higher technical diploma, or equivalent relevant experience in the field of in Electro-mechanics, Mechanics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
Demonstrated experience in one or several of the following fields:
- Electromechanical or mechanical construction.
- Construction, assembly and maintenance of large systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electromechanical design: design and construction of septum magnets.
- Electromechanical construction.
- Use of Scientific and Engineering software packages: and general office software.
- Operation and maintenance of septum.
- Design and construction of High-voltage, Under-vacuum accelerator devices.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; defining clear objectives, milestones and deliverables before initiating work/ project.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Building relationships: understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities; relating well to all people regardless of race, religion, sex or sexual orientation; showing a sincere interest in the concerns and perspectives of others.
- Working in the interest of the Organization: actively promoting safety and encouraging others to do the same; respecting safety rules and procedures.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French. Ability to understand and speak the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.01.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.