The lecturer, Accounting uses their teaching and research expertise in Accounting to deliver a number of different subjects in accounting and finance. The incumbent contributes to JCU research programs, with applications focused on sustainable, smart, tropical cities in northern Australia and the broader tropical world, to align with the University’s strategic intent to build a sustainable future for people and industries in the tropics.
The Lecturer, Accounting uses their previous business experience, entrepreneurship and/or interdisciplinary collaboration skills to assist with outreach and marketing activities that will help build the program and to attract research/project funding.
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
College of Business, Law and Governance
- Undertake independent research activity, with the ability to communicate results, both verbally and in written form to colleagues, industry, the scientific research community and other stakeholders.
- Assist in writing successful grant applications to government, non-government organisations and/or industry, as well as developing partnerships with industry stakeholders.
- Co-ordinate subject delivery on different campuses to ensure equivalence of delivery and assessment. Initiate, develop and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate course material through lectures, tutorial classes and marking of examination papers including the use and development of new teaching technologies.
- Supervise students in undergraduate and post-graduate programs at JCU.
- Contribute to the Academic Group of Accounting, the College, and the university business through active participation in various activities and committees at Academic Group and College Levels as directed.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Lecturer,Accounting is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Lecturer,Accountingis required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Lecturer,Accounting is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position to travel and undertake work at other JCU campus locations.
- It is a requirement of this position to undertake subject delivery outside of working hours, including evenings and weekend.
- PhD qualification in Accounting and relevant work experience in a government and/or business environment.
- Proven ability to conduct collaborative, multi-disciplinary research within diverse teams and experience in industry engagement high impact research and teaching programs.
- Proven or promising track record in attracting research grants and consultancies, with an ability to efficiently organise and conduct research projects to schedule.
- Ability and/or experience in University teaching at undergraduate levels in Accounting, as well as honours and post-graduate supervision.
- Demonstrated skills in administration as well as a flexible and constructive approach to work design and procedures. high levelwritten, oral andinterpersonalcommunicationskills to deliver results ofscientificresearchto diverseaudiences through a range of mediums.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver teaching material through online technologies.