Research Associate in Medicine
- 3 year appointment
- Level A Step 8 $91,397 p.a.(minimum starting salary for appointee with PhD)
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top Australian universities and a member of the prestigious Group of Eight research-intensive universities ranked among the top 100 universities in the world.
As an integral member of our research team you will participate in the recently awarded DMTC grant "Pharmaceutical development of anti-virulence compounds against BW pathogens".
This is an opportunity for an outstanding post-doctoral researcher with a track record of academic excellence and a passion for research. The position will play a driving role in the development of novel therapeutics for antibiotic resistant Gram negative bacteria.
This project aims to use an alternative strategy to develop inhibitors by targeting virulence factors which will disarm the harmful effects of the invading bacterial pathogen. This project will complete validation of the macrophage infectivity potentiator (Mip) as a broad-spectrum target, optimise inhibitor potency against the Mip protein and determine their range of broad-spectrum activity against bacterial agents in vitro. This project will require the successful candidate to spend up to 6 months at DSTG in Melbourne and up to 3 months at DSTL, UK to complete aspects of the project.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant doctoral qualification in Microbiology, Molecular biology or equivalent;
- Expert knowledge in Microbiology and Molecular biology
- Well-developed skills in Bioinformatics, In vitro Cell Infection Models and Protein Biochemistry.
- Ability to complete and publish high-quality work;
- Highly developed ability to work collaboratively with industry partners, colleagues, honours and postgraduate students;
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
Closing date: Thursday 5 January 2017
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
*Please address your cover letter "To whom it may concern"
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.